Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Soldering

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Worshiper, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Can anyone tell me, what, pretell, soldiering is? I've heard the term a lot and as I'm in the process of building my second bass i am fearing I am doing something wrong by neglecting it, or should I say "forgetting it." i'm early enough into the bass though that i can make these kind of changes. Thanks in advance.

2. Soldering is using heat to melt a soft metal (the solder) around the junction of at least two metal contacts, wires, etc. to create a sound electrical connection between the two.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you build your first bass without having done this? :confused: You might have something marketable here! :)

3. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Yes, and solder (FYI, here) is most often an alloy of tin and lead. The melting point is anywhere between 400 and 600 degrees, depending on the mixture content.

I suppose you could use wire nuts, instead of soldering. Or, for a REALLY sloppy look, just twist the bare wires together and insulate the leads with electrical tape. Maybe he's found a way to send electricity through fiberoptic line?

4. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    sorry to dissapoint you but i have not done anything different. I just never knew that it was called soldiering. I just call it sodering, I know that it's not the technical name for it. Thanks though.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Straightening out the confusion: It's not called soldiering, it's called soldering, and the "l" is silent, so you've probably been saying the word correctly all along, just misspelling it.

Soldiering is what our troops are doing in Iraq.

6. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    ohhh...I see now.
    thank you

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you build your first bass without having done this?

Man what a hoot! Some diplomacy Hambone.

Not an uncommon occurrence in the English language.

8. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    like I said...I did do it, only called it by a different name. Actually, as was stated, I just spelled it wrong.

9. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    The "l" is not silent in the UK.

10. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    The true, dictionary, correct spelling is S-O-L-D-E-R-I-N-G. I only see one "I" and it's not silent... otherwise it' be pronounced "soderng." :smug:

11. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    nonono...the "L" is silent

12. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I thought that was a capital "eye."
    I realized that just before this reply.

13. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    oh sorry..haha
    a joke..hehe

14. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    A rhyme, perhaps. :smug:

15. In Australia it is pronounced "Soul-da-ring"...or if you just are talking about the material, solder, it is called "soul-da"

Aussies tend to drop their R's.

16. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I think Italians do that, too.

17. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    In Dixie (Southeast US) we get a lot of Sodrin with Soddah - occassionally spelled that way.