1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solderless pickup connector?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I want to try a bunch of difference pickups on my Geddy and Lakland DJ. Until I make a final decision, I wouldn't want to solder pickup connections. Are small solderless connectors available? The only solderless connectors I've seen are twist connectors used for lighting fixtures.

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

They're out there, but may not be popular.
    you can probably use something like this, 2 different types, one type is designed to be soldered onto a PC board, and you just stick your wires in and tighten the screws. Another types comes in a male/female configuration where the female end is soldered tot he PC board and the male end is the one you clamp your wires into, and that plugs into the female section. You can use the male end as a terminal block or something.
    solders directly to PC board:
    PCB-Terminal-Block.
    PCB-Terminal-Block-FB167-5-0-.
    Terminal-Block.

(Audere uses these for pickup connections in their drop-in Jazz preamp)
    [​IMG]

male/female counterparts:
    [​IMG]
    close-up of male side. One is small is about the size of a 3-dimensional dime.
    39870-0103.
    just slip the wires into the holes and clamp the screws down

you can probably rip one of a junk board you can find almost anywhere
    l_2048_1536_29985BDF-550D-44AA-978A-9C2908F7B31C.

I may have a couple of these laying around in my work-truck or something...PM your address and I can send them over...if you want...

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    They sell those connectors right at Radio Shack. No need to rip them out of something.

You can also wire up a couple of alligator clips. That's what I use for testing pickups. You can get the clips with the rubber sleeve over them.

4. I prefer alligator clips, but only if they're oxygen-free...

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i use Deans 4 pin connectors on my basses (they're tiny and gold plated) and there's no screwing in the leads, you just push them together:

stingraycontrolplate-06.

stingraycontrolplate-deans.

6. spiltcoil

spiltcoil Banned

Dec 13, 2010
    I'd really love to do this for my precision and jazz. Are caps tranferable this way as well? I can see myself racking up quite a pickup bill with this setup. Of course I could learn to solder...

7. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    Splitcoil:

Learn to solder; it's really easy. Just buy a 40W Weller soldering iron at Home Depot.

I use gold bullet connectors on my bass.

They're really cheap on fleabay (i.e. 50 pairs for around $10).

4533323966_7850420d4e_z.

8. Tommorichards

Tommorichards

Mar 22, 2011