1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Soliciting opinions on our band & music...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Apr 9, 2015.

1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Wrong forum? If so, move me

Mainly looking for peeps opinions on our band/opening song from our last gig. Critiques, criticisms, constructive comments, etc.

This show is with a fill in singer we had to look for, only 2 weeks before the gig o_O

I'm quite proud of our band and material. We ALL met thru Craigslist less than 2 years ago (the fill in is a friend of mine from another band.) Edit: Bonus- it was her sig-other that made this nice video for us!

It was supposed to be our last show for good, but good olé fill in gal pal talked us into finding a new singer and going forward :thumbsup: We have too many positive things going for us to hang this project up.

Onward! :hyper:

star meets sea - sharp things - live @ barboza - guest vox by vi:

2. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

I like the minimalist approach on this song. Dunno if I would stick around for a whole show of the same though, not much energy there, I would be asleep after 3 songs hehe, but that says more about me (old fart stoner) than you. I like the sounds the band produce, and would definitely agree you should stay together. So much depends on the singer,especially in your situation.

Nephilymbass and hrodbert696 like this.
  3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Fill-in singer didn't flinch from owning the stage, and the song - she's got her Stevie Nicks on. I like that. I agree, a lot will depend on finding another singer who can do the same. The music works, I would definitely look for a new singer and keep going. I'm curious what the rest of your repertoire sounds like - I agree with BazzTard, you're going to want to change that up over the course of a set. It's very evocative and moody but you can't have the same mood over and over for an hour.

4. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

I too noticed the Stevie Nicks act,a bit too contrived methinks.

5. hrodbert696

Not that I'm a huge Stevie Nicks fan, but I like what the singer did way better than if she just stood there. She amplified the ambience of the song.

6. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Our first singer (Caite) was like the test tube love child of Kate Pierson (B-52s) & Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star.) . The first time she sang this on stage, she said to the crowd "This song reminds me of a time before I was born." ... you'll hear why :headphone:

She had impressive pipes, but lacked stage presence.

I really really enjoyed playing next to Vi ... her "contrived" moves were catchy, and she connected with the crowd all throughout the show. FWIW, I'm pretty sure Vi's not all that much into Stevie Nicks, but I get where one would draw that comparison with her witchy style.

7. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

yeah I was being too picky, now I think about it, EVERY lead singer's 'act' is contrived in some way :)

8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I like her. She reminds me not really of Stevie, but of an attractive girl dancing around in a trance at an old Grateful Dead show.
    If she's a fill in, I'd try to keep her.
    I do like the moody vibe of the tune and as others have said, if the other material has more variety, all's good.

9. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Thanks :) If there is one song that sets the tone for our show, or encapsulates our sound best, it's Sharp Things.
    All of the songs sound different to me, so I have a hard time describing our sound to John Q Public. I usually just say it's like Mazzy Star singing over earlier Cure . or put it under the huge umbrella/useless description of Post Punk. And we made an offer of the permanent spot to her, but we knew she didn't have time for another project.

I have another promising friend who's gonna try for the spot next weekend ... pretty stoked about her - she plays a mean accordion as well! (But we're not looking to add that sound to our arsenal. lol)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  10. hrodbert696

If you're writing originals anyway, I wouldn't rule out the accordion. These days a lot of bands seem to be throwing in something a little unexpected to get a distinctive sound and stand out from others. Not every tune, especially she's the front person, but could be cool.

11. the_stoot64

the_stoot64

Mar 8, 2015
    Australia
    I love it! She works as the singer, too. Keep her on board!

12. sounds good man!

13. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

Feb 3, 2013
    Texas
    Man I dug it. I didn't really get the S. Nicks vibe, but I was hearing some crazy bass lines in my head. Less is more many say, but I was certainly hearing some John McVie (bassist for Fleetwood Mac) style bass lines in my head. Probably more due to the fact that I was listening to the song while reading others taking about Stevie Nicks. I would watch you guys for sure.

14. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Agree. We'd probably use that instrument VERY sparingly here and there if it works out with her. A mutual friend of ours plays the Saw ... and I've been trying to write a song that we can incorporate that into. Black Heart Procession & the Bad Things both have recently used on on their records, and it sounds eerie and cool. That's an instrument that definitely requires a lot of breathing room in a song to be properly heard.

I'm usually the guy in the band that wants to speed things up and rock them out a little harder. The drummer and rhythm gut player (who's vision started the band) are going more for the sparse dark mood, but we all work well together and learn from each other.

Seattle is a great place to find mutually interested musicians of decent skill,and to get going finding places to play, but it is a really saturated town in terms of building a following . Any given night you can go see a band that you haven't seen before. I'll usually choose seeing a band that I haven't seen before instead of repeatedly going to see the same act ... even if they've tickled my fancy on a previous night.

Thanks to all who took a few minutes to listen and give feedback. He's currently putting another one together for us from the same show. I'll post that here when it's finished :hyper:

hrodbert696 likes this.
  15. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I was a bit disappointed with the lack of upfront bass in the final mix/master of the tracks. The notes are there (nothing too crazy), but as is so the norm these days, you really really have to listen for them. It annoys the crap out of me how difficult the bass is to hear on so many songs. I mean, why bother playing them if they're not even going to be audible? Believe me - we went back and forth about this during mixing time, and this was the compromise. At least people are usually blown away by the bass during a live performance ... or so they tell me :bassist:

16. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

Feb 3, 2013
    Texas
    Gave it a 2nd listen, and I didn't find the bass buried. You guys sounded great. I liked what you played (don't think I was clear on that before). I was just also hearing ideas in my own head that reminded me of McVie. Keep up the good work.

catcauphonic likes this.
  17. I think it sounds cool and I can see how some people would like it. but it's not exactly my style. That's the thing about talkbass. There's people here that play everything from blue grass to metal. You can check out samples of my band here and see what I mean

Red Sky Constellation - EP by Nephilym
    iTunes - Music - Red Sky Constellation - EP by Nephilym

18. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Yes, I'm quite aware of that. Thanks for taking the time to give it a spin. Can I listen without having to download i-Tunes?

19. Not a problem, and Yeah if you click on the song it will play like minute long samples for free.

20. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Here's the latest and greatest video made for us from the same gig. This is the one we use to close the show, and is personally my favorite song to play:

Our singer search is in high gear after a few months break ...
    we have a gal who seems really promising on the horizon! :hyper: