Solid 12" speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by I.M. Noone, Mar 15, 2006.

1. I.M. Noone

I.M. Noone

Oct 7, 2005
    The speakers in my '68 2x12 Kustom cab are pretty shot, its 50 watt K100 head runs at 8 ohms so I'm looking for a pair of 16 Ohm speakers that won't break the bank. Anyone have speaker suggestions for me? I play a 4001 and do pop/rock and reggae/world stuff. Thanks!
  2. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Your limited in what is out there in 16 ohm. You could however run 2-4ohms in series to get to 8 ohms, but they are hard to find too. Eminence Delta12b is 16 ohm 83.00 ea, at Parts Express, but your box is probably too small for them, but it might be your cheapest route.Jensen makes a 16 ohm 12 , but it has a really high FS point, and they're 99 bucks ea, at US Speaker. I see a nice K120 JBL on e-bay right now in 16 ohm, but thts only one. You'd need to find another, and it may or may not go high. I see that Music Supply Center has the Knight 12s in 8 ohm, but they offer a re-cone kit, in 16 ohm. Be about 80 bucks ea that way, but then you'd have to pay someone to put the kit in. Probably have 120 ea in them then, but that would be the best cab match for you. Are you sure that head won't run at 4 ohms? Some research on that would save you some serious cash. I'd really check that out first before going any farther.
  3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Sorry man. All the 12" speakers that I am familiar with are perforated. Good luck finding some solid ones.
  4. SRT

Mar 20, 2006
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Hey IM,

I can only seem to find 12" bass drivers in 4 or 8 ohm flavours. If you put two 8-ohm drivers in series, they should still work fine. It's my understanding that as long as the impedence is higher than the rating for the amp (example: 8-ohm speaker, 4-ohm amp) you should be fine (anyone else want to help me out here??).

You may want to check out they've got a wide selection of drivers that you could use. I personally have used Selenium 12s from the WPU line and they're pretty good. They have 4" voicecoils so they pack a good whallop. Their frequency response is pretty decent too so you should still be able to get some good pop without having to have a horn.

Hope this helps, though you may want to aska new question about the impedence matching to the forum.

5. FWIW you can wire two 4 ohm speakers in series to get an 8 ohm total load. I have bought 4 ohm Eminence Delta 12lf speakers from for a very, very low price of like $65 a piece shipped.

Your box needs to be the appropriate size and the box tuning (ports) need to be within the speaker's design parameters for it (or any other) speaker to work properly. Others may suggest that it is foolish to try to retrofit speakers into an existing box and there is a rigid science that must be adheared to or you are doomed to failure. I don't buy into this idea that it is an exact science but it is good to know if your box is even close to suitable for the drivers that people are recommending.

If you can post the interior dimensions of your box and port size, depth, and number of ports some of us will be more than willing to make more accurate suggestions.