1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

solid core questions

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Dr Rod, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Inspired by a post by Francois, I became curious as to the differences between these solid core strings. Mainly in terms of stiffness and volume under the bow.

Innovation 140H (synthetic)
    Pirastro Chromcors (steel)
    Super-Sensitive Red Labels and Stellars (steel)
    LaBella 610s (steel)
    Thomastik Precisions (steel)

Other comments on the various characteristics of these strings are welcome as well.

2. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I've experimented with both the Innovation 140 H and B sets. I found the 140B (braided core) to be superior for arco, although not necessarily because of stiffness or volume. The braided core had a deeper, richer sound, and was faster and easier starting. While the 140H certainly was bowable, I'd recommend the 140B for arco

3. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania
    Super-Sensitive Red Labels = the worst strings for arco i have ever tried!!! very very bright and scratchy..
    i think i'll try innovation 140B's this summer, course i heard they are very close to eudoxa's/oliv's i like so much..

4. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    How do they compare on pizz?

5. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I thought the 140B's G&D were fine for pizz, the E&A were a bit thuddy. The 140H's were brighter and more sustaining for pizz but the G&D arco was not as pleasant or responsive. (does all this sound familiar?) So...I wound up using the 140H E&A with the 140B D&G and was happy with that combination.

One warning about Innovations: on more than one occasion I got Innovation strings with imperfections in the windings, usually the D or G. There would be a rough spot or burr that felt annoying under the fingers or made a slight buzz against the fingerboard. Sometimes I was able to use a little steel wool to smooth it but other times I had to return the string.

Otherwise, I found them to be very nice stings.

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Any problems with durability? This is a string that I think I would like, but vaugely remember them having some issues similar to other multi-material strings. Did I dream that up? Would be happy to learn that I did.

7. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN

Once again, these strings didn't seem to like being removed and put back on very much. Like Obligatos, Eudoxas and Olives, they were prone to developing separations in the windings where the string passes over the bridge. If you're willing to put them on and leave them alone, you'll be better off.

I had them on for a few months and they held up well. I experimented with another string and when I put the Innovations back on they seemed to have lost a lot of life, particularly for pizz. The 140B though, is a wonderful sounding, easy to bow arco string.

8. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    I used the 140H on the D and G for a little while. I really loved the pizz sound for a month or so, but they seemed to go kind of dead after that. Physically they looked and felt fine, but the pizz sound turned into a dull thud. I liked them for arco, though.