1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

solid / hollow hybrid idea: input needed

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by waxcomb, Nov 6, 2010.

1. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I currently play a Hofner 500/1 and a Musicmaster. I'd like to get both sounds out of one instrument if possible. My idea is a semi-hollow where its solid from the horns to just past a centrally located pickup. The bottom half would be hollow with either another pickup or piezo in the bridge.

The main question is if this idea will lead to two different sounds? Also how should the bridge be mounted, on a solid block or hollow? Will I just end up with a bass that doesn't do either?

Thoughts are appreciated.

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments

3. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Interesting video but not sure how it relates to my question.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    If you are wanting two electric pickups then what is the point of a hollow body?

5. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The Hofner has two electric pickups and has a hollow body. It has a distinct sound, different than a solid body.

6. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Hollow bodies get the thump because the energy from the strings is used to make the body and air inside it resonate, which takes a lot more energy than with a solid body, hence less energy to sustain.

Probably wouldn't get much of a difference tonally between the two pickups. Maybe a piezo would make a difference.