solid? hollow?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spidersbass, Mar 12, 2005.

1. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    how are hollow body basses different from solid body ones? other than the obvious answer that one is hollow... how are the sounds different and etc...?
  2. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    You tend to get a warmer, more open, almost upright quality to the tone. If you're looking for an upright bass sound in an electric, you'd want a fretless semi-hollowbody.

Think the opposite of modern, hi-fi sound. It's much more vintage. Granted, pickups can change that, but you'll find semi-hollows pertaining to the vintage crowd (old Hofners, Gibsons, etc....).

3. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    ooooh, that sounds pretty kick ass. i always wanted an upright sound on an electric, or at least close to it... i don't wanna lug around a huge violin, lol.
  4. gkintn

Mar 6, 2005
    I just bought (delivery is monday!) a Rob Allen fretless MB2 4 string which is a semi hollow bass with an uprightish personality. The piezo bridge transducer adds to the acoustic quality of these basses.

I recently compared a Godin A4 semi solid body bass to a few other more "acoustic guitar" like basses. As in round sound hole, flattop guitar style basses. They were fretted, and the Godin was fretless. The Godin was WAY closer to sounding like an upright. The fretted acoustic bass "guitars" sounded much more electric to my ear.

That said, I can't wait to get my Rob Allen bass on monday. I'll report back here with a review.