Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

solid lacewood body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Milothicus, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Does anyone have experience with a solid lacewood body? i've read a couple of posts from people who love it, and some who hate it. i'm just wondering what the general concensus is............

2. From what I read, it sounds almost exactly like Alder; and I do like Alder. Alder is the standard for solid color Fenders, by the way.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have heard that they sound more like mahogany, which I don't particularly like for bass. I have played two solid lacewood basses, but I didn't play either long enough to for an opinion.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I agree with the Alder comparison - and I"ve got a solid lacewood body on my Gecko. Very traditional sounding wood, good lows.

5. i'm not sure good lows is what i want........ i need a good sound for jazz too, and it seems i take out a lot of the lows for that.....well, it's only one part of the tone equation. i may go for it.......

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I play jazz for a living, and it sounds great for jazz. My drummer likes it over all my other basses, tho I prefer my jazzes.

7. The following is from the Warmoth website wood descriptions(http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/bodies.htm):
    Lacewood (Cardwellia Sublimis): Lacewood is imported from Australia. It's a medium weight wood. The grain design ranges from very small spots to very large spots which create a it's signature reptilian appearance. Lacewood looks best in the form of a bookmatched laminate top, but is also available for solid bodies. The tone is similar to Alder.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i tried out one of the older tobias killer b basses with lacewood body and i though it sounded pretty sweet. dave pushic sent me a pic of a piece of stained lacewood and, ohhhhhhh man.....;) yummy i think that lacewood would make for a great sounding fretless.

9. i love the figure too. that's why i was hoping to make it solid (easier) and i was hoping to stain it blue/green, and finish it with oil. i had read some posts that said it sounded like mahogany, which has too much mids for a bass. lacewood it is.

10. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    I recently made a fretless out of mahogany with a maple neck thru. I love the sound of mahogany. If the bass your having made/making is a neck thru you have to really consider that as a large part of the equation.

11. i'm making it, and it'll be a bolt-on. i also have the option of buying a pre-glued body blank made of mahogany, but i think i want the lacewood.