1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

solid lacewood body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Milothicus, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Does anyone have experience with a solid lacewood body? i've read a couple of posts from people who love it, and some who hate it. i'm just wondering what the general concensus is............

2. From what I read, it sounds almost exactly like Alder; and I do like Alder. Alder is the standard for solid color Fenders, by the way.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I have heard that they sound more like mahogany, which I don't particularly like for bass. I have played two solid lacewood basses, but I didn't play either long enough to for an opinion.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I agree with the Alder comparison - and I"ve got a solid lacewood body on my Gecko. Very traditional sounding wood, good lows.

5. i'm not sure good lows is what i want........ i need a good sound for jazz too, and it seems i take out a lot of the lows for that.....well, it's only one part of the tone equation. i may go for it.......

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I play jazz for a living, and it sounds great for jazz. My drummer likes it over all my other basses, tho I prefer my jazzes.

7. The following is from the Warmoth website wood descriptions(http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/bodies.htm):
    Lacewood (Cardwellia Sublimis): Lacewood is imported from Australia. It's a medium weight wood. The grain design ranges from very small spots to very large spots which create a it's signature reptilian appearance. Lacewood looks best in the form of a bookmatched laminate top, but is also available for solid bodies. The tone is similar to Alder.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i tried out one of the older tobias killer b basses with lacewood body and i though it sounded pretty sweet. dave pushic sent me a pic of a piece of stained lacewood and, ohhhhhhh man.....;) yummy i think that lacewood would make for a great sounding fretless.

9. i love the figure too. that's why i was hoping to make it solid (easier) and i was hoping to stain it blue/green, and finish it with oil. i had read some posts that said it sounded like mahogany, which has too much mids for a bass. lacewood it is.

10. Damian Coccio

Damian Coccio

Feb 7, 2002
    USA
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Guitars
    I recently made a fretless out of mahogany with a maple neck thru. I love the sound of mahogany. If the bass your having made/making is a neck thru you have to really consider that as a large part of the equation.

11. i'm making it, and it'll be a bolt-on. i also have the option of buying a pre-glued body blank made of mahogany, but i think i want the lacewood.