Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

solid or laminated???

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by _alex_, Dec 14, 2004.

1. _alex_

_alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    Old Europe:)
    hi there,i have a strunal 5/5 and they tell that this bass are full solid,top and back.
    but a guy the other day told me that it was not a solid back :crying: its laminated :help:
    its true? how can i tell the difference beetween solid and laminated?

thanks

2. sonic bass

sonic bass

Jul 12, 2004
  3. sonic bass

sonic bass

Jul 12, 2004
    it's carved.
    here´s what I found:

5/5 weA Hand carved solid spruce Solid maple, flat back Maple Ebony Spirit varnish 4/4-1/4

5/5 wA Hand carved solid spruce Solid maple, flat back Maple Ebony Spirit varnish 4/4-1/4

5/5 w Hand carved solid spruce Solid maple, flat back Maple Ebony Polyurethane varnish in high gloss or semi-matte 4/4-1/4

5/5 D Hand carved solid spruce Solid maple, flat back Maple Ebony Polyurethane varnish in high gloss or semi-matte

4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Strunal says the 5/5 is solid top AND back. To tell if a top or back is laminated, look at the edges. It'll look like, well - plywood (you will actually see the plys). If it's solid, you'll see consistent grain running over the edges.

5. _alex_

_alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    Old Europe:)
    already look at it ,the major thing that i notice is that the back is slightly thinner than the top(at the edges),and at the back it has kind of 2 independant boards of wood(maple???)
    i cant tell if it is really a solid back :confused:
    the edges are very dark because the varnish...