1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

solid or laminated???

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by _alex_, Dec 14, 2004.

1. _alex_

_alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    Old Europe:)
    hi there,i have a strunal 5/5 and they tell that this bass are full solid,top and back.
    but a guy the other day told me that it was not a solid back :crying: its laminated :help:
    its true? how can i tell the difference beetween solid and laminated?

thanks

2. sonic bass

sonic bass

Jul 12, 2004
  3. sonic bass

sonic bass

Jul 12, 2004
    it's carved.
    here´s what I found:

5/5 weA Hand carved solid spruce Solid maple, flat back Maple Ebony Spirit varnish 4/4-1/4

5/5 wA Hand carved solid spruce Solid maple, flat back Maple Ebony Spirit varnish 4/4-1/4

5/5 w Hand carved solid spruce Solid maple, flat back Maple Ebony Polyurethane varnish in high gloss or semi-matte 4/4-1/4

5/5 D Hand carved solid spruce Solid maple, flat back Maple Ebony Polyurethane varnish in high gloss or semi-matte

4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Strunal says the 5/5 is solid top AND back. To tell if a top or back is laminated, look at the edges. It'll look like, well - plywood (you will actually see the plys). If it's solid, you'll see consistent grain running over the edges.

5. _alex_

_alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    Old Europe:)
    already look at it ,the major thing that i notice is that the back is slightly thinner than the top(at the edges),and at the back it has kind of 2 independant boards of wood(maple???)
    i cant tell if it is really a solid back :confused:
    the edges are very dark because the varnish...