Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

solid practice amp under $400?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jebthebassist, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    I currently have a "large" rig and I'm looking to get a smaller practice amp that I can use at rehersals. I'm thinking of a 210 or 112 combo amp that pushes around 100w. I want it to keep up with my drummer and guitar player. I play in a rock band but for the practice amp I'm not TOO concerned with my tone, thats what my big rig is for (not semi-truck). I'm thinking GK or Hartke (aluminum speakers only please) Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Also feel free to go under of a little over 400 because I will hopefully be able to get a discount on it. Thank you

2. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Used Trace Elliot. I love mine. Also, I've heard good things about the little SWR combos.

3. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    Could you please be more specific about trace elliot? I'm not familiar with any of their products.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You could also look at the Yorkville sound combos. They have a 100 watt model that sounds great and should be well under $400 US. I just bought one of their little 50 watt combos for $340 Canadian for the same purpose. It blows the competition away. 30 lbs and easy to cart around. I wasn't too concerned about sound quality either but I was pleasantly surprised by how big this little thing sounds. In my opinion it's a lot better than the SWR LA sries which I also tried.

I tried it side by side in the store against the Roland 30 watt and 100 watt combos and it was way bigger and better than the 30 watter and equal to the 100 watter. They make very good reliable amps. Great warranty and they're made in North America.

5. Nirvana4ever

Nirvana4ever

Aug 2, 2005
    For a decent, good-priced, transportable bass amp, I would recommend a 15watt Crate amp. The quality is good. The settings are easy. For a 15watt amp, it really gets the job done. It is perfect for practicing and it is easy to carry. This is not an amp you would want to get if you are looking for a top of the line product. A small Crate is good for a regular ol' jam amp. It costs a little over 100. Overall a good amp.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I just bought a brand new SWR Workingman's 12 combo for $250 at Guitar Center's Labor Day "List" Sale...I like it!!!! :hyper:

7. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    I recently tested a P-bass through an Ampeg B-100R combo at a store and the combo sounded awesome. (100 watts through a 1x15; check out www.ampeg.com for all the info.) I eventually took the bass home and it doesn't sound nearly as good on my practice amp (an old Crate B40XL) as it did on the Ampeg there. I'm seriously considering going back for the Ampeg.

It retails on MF for $549, but there seems to be three of them on eBay right now, one with a buy it now of $375. And I'm sure it would hold its value pretty well if you decide to sell it.

Check one out a store if you can.

8. You're on the right path. Liquid practice amps are all way over $400.

Randy

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I strongly recommend the Roland Cube 100. I bought it as an easily portable, all-purpose combo that could cut it at band rehearsals, and it's great -- a serious powerhouse for the small size. I haven't compared it against the 1x15" combos because I wanted something smaller, but I thought it blew away the Fender Bassman 150 and Eden Silver Series 1x12" combo. I don't think the SWR Workingman's (or is it now WorkingPro?) 1x12" combo would be even close, but both should be easy enough to find for you to make a comparison.

I'll be posting a more in-depth review of the Roland sometime soon.

10. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    My favorite 100 watt combo. Some basses were just meant to be paired with certain amps and the P-bass is the one that's my favorite through the B-100R... followed closely by the mighty Stingray. If they sold a 1000watt version of this amp, i'd own it. It's that good. Unless maybe, you're a big time slapper.

11. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Not to hijack the thread, but what situations do you use this combo in? Is its 100 watts loud enough for full band situations? If not, is it at least loud enough for a rehearsal with the drummer only?

12. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
  13. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I have the Trace Elliot Commando 12. I got it for about 150 shipped on ebay, and the thing is mind blowingly good

14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Good suggestion...the bassist in my former drummer's new band was using a Carvin combo (1x15 dont' recall if it had a tweeter or not). The amp filled the room (maybe 30 by 40 ft) very well as part of a moderately loud Classic Rock band. It sounded very good...full and not forced at all.

7 String maniac Eli just bought one too...I'll have to find out how he likes it...

15. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    The SWR combos are still Workingman's...not pro

16. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    There are actually a *lot* of folks here who have "gone wrong" with Carvin amps.

Myself, I've "gone wrong" with two of them. :scowl:

17. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I'd stay away from Carvin. Ashdown have gotten great reviews aswell

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I only read the first post, and one combo came to mind immediately.

Ampeg B100R....under $400 for a used one is no problem.

-Mike

19. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I would be hesitant to use it in a full band situation other than small gigs without trying to compete against a guitarist with a full stack.
    It definetly works well at rehearsals or with a drummer only.

20. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Peavey TNT. Suber reliable, cheap, decent tone and loud enough to rehearse with a full band if the guitar players aren't insane. With direct out it can also be used on gigs with PA support.

Best combo/practice amp/beginer amp out there.