Solid, Simple Direct Box

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Sep 17, 2005.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    i play in a jazz/fusion/funk type trio and have some gigs coming up where im going to be going direct to the house. I play a passive fender jazz and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on a simple direct box that would help boost my signal. I know everyone here is a big fan of the sansamp but i want something thats not going to color my tone. Aguilar and Ampeg have nice tube direct boxes (i know they will color my tone, but tube coloring is good coloring in my book) but they are fairly expensive ($400-500). Anyone have any ideas?
  2. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    i am looking at the Radial JDI MK3 Passive Direct does anyone have any experience with it?
  3. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    The Radial is a great box, and since you have a passive bass, you may want to consider the Radial J48 which is an Active Phantom DI... it will cause less loading of the pickups for a fuller tone. The downside is that you need phantom power.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    radial makes a great product. I haven't bought one yet, but the Duplex is nearing the top of my list (2 of the JDI in one box)
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Countryman is an old standard. Solid, simple.

The Radial JDI is definitely on par with it, exceptional quality with both of them, you can't do wrong with either.
  7. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I'd go for the radial for the most natural tone. It won't 'boost your signal' though. It uses a jensen JT-DB-E transformer, about the best there is. If you're handy with a soldering iron you can build one yourself with the info on the Jensen site.
  8. markjazzbassist

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    Whisper, that radial J48 sounds pretty good. I'm glad they come highly recommended. Thanks a lot guys for all the suggestions!!
  9. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Another vote for the Countryman. I used one with great results in the studio.
  10. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I love the Radial JDI, and recommend it very highly.

I've heard some people advise to use an active DI for a passive bass and a passive DI for an active bass, but I don't think this is necessary. The passive JDI works great with any bass, and has several other useful features as well.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I was just yesterday speaking to a long time friend/fulltime pro sound guy...and I asked him this very question. We were talking about my current setup, and his comment was "well, all you really need now is a good DI".

I agreed with him, but told him I know next to nothing about DI's except for the super low end and the upper end, like the Demeter...he first asked me what kind of basses I play now... and since most of what I have is passive, he suggested that probably the best thing I could do is the active Radial. Says it sounds clean and good, and should only run about $179.00, and should last to next to forever. Commented that many top professionals are still using it live.
  12. I use an MXR M-80 going to the house. It's *much* quieter than a Sansamp. In fact, there are lots of professionals on tour who go direct from an M-80 to the house, and also use it in the studio. :bassist:

Also, it allows some really versatile tone shaping that you won't get in the Countryman/Radial/etc. DI's. Most of the sound people I deal with just don't have a passion for getting a great tone for the bass. It's a real lifesaver for me to have the ability to dial in a sound that's right for the room.