1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solid state amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Korladis, Oct 31, 2010.

1. So, I know for a solid state head it's not good to run it under the minimum allowable ohms (like, for example, running a head that says it has a 4 ohm minimum at 2 ohms is a bad idea), but what about running it at higher ohms than it states?

I ask because my band just picked up a spare guitar cab, which is 16 ohms. No, I'm not planning on playing bass through it, that would be terrible for the speakers. We also have a spare head, a Peavey Mark IV that we use as a general purpose spare head, more often than not for guitar. On the back, it states that it's supposed to go into either an 8 ohm or 4 ohm load.

This means that it can't be used to power the 16 ohm cab, doesn't it? Something bad will happen? Fire everywhere? Sizzles, smoke, tears streaming to the sounds of the gnashing of teeth?

It's a bad idea to try it, right?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    nope, it should be ok. higher than normal impedances are fine with a ss head. they put out less wattage and run cooler.

3. Really? That's great. That'll work out fine, since it's only going to be used in this configuration for guitar, probably with a dirt pedal in front. Phew.

Thanks for the info.

4. Wrong! Playing a SS amp into a higher Ohm cab is fine ... the only time that you will come into problems is when you try to plug a head that is able to go down to 4 Ohms for example into a 2 Ohm cab. Cheers.

5. Thanks Jimmy, you beat me to the punch again ... Sorry I didn't see these 2 posts, or I wouldn't have said anything.

6. Sweet. I love being wrong when it ends up making things easier.

7. From the Peavey Mk IV Manual - http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80370383.pdf

(My italics)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    always good to have backup...or someone to set me straight if i'm wrong ;)

9. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

on this head a 16 ohm load is a great option.. will run cool for decades..

IF playing bass the enclosure may be suspect as they didn't make 16 ohm cabs (that I have ever seen).

The power amp section of this amp is in the same spirit as a reknown, special, bandit etc.. you should be cool running it with guitars.. (they'll probably want pedals etc)

10. Yeah, NEVER running bass through this cab, ever. It's only for guitar. The plan is basically to use a pedal + the Mark IV amp into this cab so that not having enough equipment is never an issue if we want to jam with people.

The Mark IV we've used prior to this as a backup for my head and the guitarist's head (in case either goes down).

Thanks for the info, guys. I was very happy to learn that this will actually work fine.