1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Solid State Amps are Superior in Every Way to Tube Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Psycho Bass Guy, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Really, they are. Don't let little things like facts and science convince you otherwise. Any amplifier that uses obsolete vaccum tube technology is a disaster waiting to happen. The tubes will die every five minutes and cost a fortune to replace. The amp itself will not control your speaker cabinet properly resulting in distortion and compression, and a tube can never reproduce accurately reproduce any signal.

What you posters need to do is buy all the latest amps by all the advertisers and forget about stupid things like your own personal observations and preferences. If you happen to be attatched to antiquated technology, it is your own fault for being gullible to vintage hype, nevermind how many facts you can produce to support your tastes.

Get with the program and buy, buy, buy all the latest toys and software. Toss out your old junk amps with their lightbulb output sections waiting to shatter and explode. Wise up and get yourself a modelling program to run on your laptop into a switching power amp. The sounds produced by such a combination are far superior the junk they emulate.

Remember that anyone who tells you different is a sales-pitching tube dealer or repairman who is only encouraging your outdated preference to ensure overpriced repair business and outrageous replacement parts sales. Ignore their hype and most importantly, ignore your ears because they are easily fooled and you don't really like what you think you do. Once you un-convince yourself of the benefits of old gear, a whole new reality will set in.

..maybe this post will get to stay. After all, its seems to support the prevailing doctrine endorsed by this forum. :scowl:

2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Uh,Oh.Where is the pic of that open can of worms?

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Redlands, CA
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Jazz > Precision
    Coke = Pepsi

When will people learn? :scowl:

4. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota

...though I do get the sarcasm and find it funny.

5. I, for one, appreciate your knowledge of tube circuits...and I also appreciate tube preamps and amplifiers...most of my channels (PA) are fed with some type of tube preamp circuit as well.

...And I don't plan on buying emulators to "cop" the sound of the real thing.

6. Rattman

Rattman Supporting Member

Errr.. aren't your opinions (the OP) a little overboard perhaps? I also prefer SS amplification, but I'm never gonna turn my nose up at folks that like that warm, round tone that tube or 'valve' amps provide them with.

"Antiquated technology"? Perhaps.. but again it is an aquired taste, rather subjective.. besides nothing wrong with preferring the tones of tubes/valves.

7. Read his post again - it's all ironically sarcastic. PBG is our resident tube amp guru.

8. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    I prefer to chum the water more delicately. :D

9. SMHP

SMHP

Jan 3, 2007
    San Diego
    while i agree with you, (the sarcastic side) i think talk bass does a pretty good job at promoting the right equipment, generally the threads are people who want a huge amp and only want to pay 100 bucks so people recommend the "best" solid state they can. :)

10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Psycho, you have hidden talents. You're actually a very funny guy! :D

I'm happy to let this thread carry on for it's humour value to tube and SS lovers alike. But please note - if there's any hint of flaming or disrespect between users in this thread, I'll delete those posts and deal with the infractions in strict accordance with TB policy.

So no dogmatic statements about which is "best" or personal attacks, please.

11. Wasp

Wasp

Jun 26, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    You can get the 'warm' sound from solid state technology...

You just need to wire a heater circuit through the MOSFETs :ninja:

-Gil

12. Rattman

Rattman Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Rattman
    Errr.. aren't your opinions a little overboard perhaps? I also prefer SS amplification, but I'm never gonna turn my nose up at folks that like that warm, round tone that tube or 'valve' amps provide them with.

"Antiquated technology"? Perhaps.. but again it is an aquired taste, rather subjective.. besides nothing wrong with preferring the tones of tubes/valves.

Darn it... I really fell for that didn't I? :rollno:.. Oh well, I'm kinda glad it is all just in ironic fun to be honest with you. I guess I couldn't tell it was a spoof. Thanks :D

13. I'm not so sure. I do think this kind of thread is good for busine--I mean, TB.

14. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I have tried several solid state amps and, imo, none of them come close to the sound or feel of an all tube setup (and that includes the ones often raved about on this forum). Nice post, Psycho Bass Guy, but you are not alone.

My experience is that the people most critical of tube amps are generally those that have never owned or spent much time with a really good one. It is a feel thing and some people are aware of it and some are not. I just wish more bass players had experience with great tube bass amps because it would create a larger market with more great options (something comparable to the boutique guitar amp market). I am so sick of new amps designed to sound remarkably good . . . for their size/weight. I want an amp that just sounds remarkably good, regardless of size/weight.

15. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    :D

16. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    Would this apply to home stereo receivers? My SS receivers from the 70's stomp anything 5.1/HT new age. But then again I have the best of both worlds in vintage tube and solid state bass amps. But then again I am on my tenth beer tonight. Sarcasm is fun!!!:smug: :p :)

17. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    See what I mean? That's FUNNY stuff, right there. :D

18. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    PBG, were you feeling lonely tonight, or are you just trying to dissuade the majority of bass amp buyers from buying cool tube amps, lest they should cause a shortage for the rest of us and jack up the prices more and more?

Clever, Grasshopper. Very clever.

Matt

19. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Can I get an A... men?

20. Hi.

Amen to that.

I'll take good care of the obsolete junk on this side of the pond when You all toss it away. Just send it to me, I'll pay for the shipping ;) . The older the better.

Sam