1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

solid state and overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MrBKerth, Jan 18, 2015.

1. MrBKerth

MrBKerth The Gypsy Bravado

Apr 20, 2013
    Texas
    Hello all,
    I'm on the hunt for a pedal that will keep the warm fat sound I have in my AG500sc but add a light bit of hair without getting 'harsh'. I've been searching but can't seem to find anything.

2. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Look for dirt with a built in EQ to roll off the highs a bit, should be fine. With my MB800 it was easy to get full blown treble with the Source Audio OFD, but once you dial in the 3-band EQ it's golden. My bass has very pronounced high-mids, I have to roll a lot of stuff off anyways.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop

It does exactly what you're looking for.

SunnBass, gregmon79 and blindrabbit like this.
  4. MrBKerth

Apr 20, 2013
    Texas
    The millennium one? I've heard that but when I was looking for videos there was only this super harsh fuzz. Do you know any videos showcasing this so I can check it out?

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yes, the Millennium. The v1 would work fine as well but they don't make it anymore. As for decent videos, not that I'm aware of.

Super harsh fuzz? You sure it was a Barbershop? It's a transparent low gain pedal that essentially turns any amp into a slightly pushed tubey sounding amp while retainer your bass and amp character.

jez79 and blindrabbit like this.
  6. i would check out the dark glass, but the ebs billy signature overdrive is good for non-extreme overdrive tones. it has a built in compressor and two effects loops, if you interested in creating a big frankenstein monster effect.

7. Barbershop. Your search is over.

8. shinybeast

shinybeast

Apr 1, 2014
    I like the Barbershop as well. It works very well at adding some rawness and breakup without changing the basic character of your instrument and rig.

blindrabbit likes this.
  9. MrBKerth

Apr 20, 2013
    Texas
    Thanks fellas. I'm very interested to see a barbershop in person. I very much like the character I'm seeing in a darklass vintage microtubes as well.

10. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I haven't tried a Barbershop, but have tried other fairfield effects--and they make some cool stuff.

I would also check out an Empress Distortion--it was a lot of versatility--so you'll have a lot of settings that could work (And a lot that won't, but that will vary from person to person) and some that will just sound great.

blindrabbit likes this.
  11. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Barbershop
    Fuzzrocious Rat Tail (low gain, very transparent. different flavour of grind)
    Catalinbread WIIO

any of those should do the job IMO

12. Barbershop 1st choice
    Beta 2nd 1st choice

blindrabbit likes this.
  13. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I havent tried the Barbershop, but I hear that is really good for that ever so slight hair. I have tried the EHX hot tubes nano which, IMO, did a very fine job in that respect of just hairy to pushed tubes. The Glove is also a good for this depending on how its set. There are tons of OD pedals out there that will get you where you wanna be honestly. A lot. These are pretty good starting points though IMO. The DG VMT is great too if you're willing to spend a little extra. It adds a little of its own flavor to your signal, but I like that. You may not.

zapped777 likes this.
  14. I'm gonna throw in my 2p and say... Ashdown Lomenzo Hyperdrive. Ashdown's pedals don't have a great reputation, but that just makes the Hyperdrive all the more surprising in quality. Give it a try, I've been using mine for about 7 years now, only ever had to replace the footswitch once.

15. The Barbershop looks like a nice pedal. At $185 I would hope so! Personally I could never bring myself to spend that much on a single pedal, but to be honest I'm not a huge effects guy. A nice warm tube sound OD is probably my favorite effect though. One of my favorite inexpensive OD pedals is the Digitech Bad Monkey. At around $50 new and $30 used it is IMO one of the best values of any pedal and IMO pulls of a nice warm tube OD without being harsh.

16. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    +1 for the Bad Monkey IF you are pushing an 'almost-hot' tube front-end. Can't comment if you are driving a SS front-end, other than to say that my own experience of pushing SS front-ends is not good. Without wishing to start a war, have you considered an amp modeller such as Zoom MS-60B or similar?

17. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    I like the Barbershop as well but this had me breaking out the wallet. It can go from mild to wild....and it won't break the bank!

blindrabbit likes this.
  18. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    That Green Bassmachine sounds real nice!

19. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I'm a big fan of the Way Huge Pork Loin for the kind of sound you're describing:

20. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Bearfoot Blueberry beats all the others for me if 'warm' and 'fat' is what you seek.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021