1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Solid state = Clean = Better for Effects?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Just curious about your thoughts.

2. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I don't see what difference it'd make wether you run effects thru a SS amp vs. a Tube amp. I'll know in a few days when my db750 arrives.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    with enough headroom... tubes can be as 'clean' as solid state.

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    James is right as usual. A lot of guys like to run their tube heads into clipping...and that will mess with effects. I run my amps clean with lots of headroom & effects sound great.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have heard killer clean tones from tube amps, and IME/IMHO, it's easier to get great clean AND 'dirty' tones from an all-tube head than it is to get great clean AND 'dirty' tones from a solid state setup (though the 'hybrid' approach does help, some).

But to your original question, I think it all depends on what kind of effects you will be using. For effects involving overdrive/distortion/fuzz, etc., I would tend to prefer the tube path. But, I could see a very clean solid state rig working for more 'synth-like' effects. Chorus, etc. would probably be just fine on either tube or solid state.

But once again, IME/IMHO, it all comes back to gear synergy. Just picking "tube" or "solid state" is not as relevant as the particular combinations of bass/amp/cab/effects, etc.

Tom.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I prefer tube tone. I'd go with tube. Richer sound to my ears.

If you want a super clean sounding tone for effects, then go solid state. Think Billy Howerdell (guitarist, but uses all solid state).

7. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    No not really at all.

You see guitarists which generally use WAY more effects than bassists run through tube amps all the time.

In fact most of the more expensive effects are analog, not digital. There's a reason most of the better sounding units aren't SS.

So why would you want to limit yourself to a SS state amp if you're going for a warm, more musically pleasing tone if you're shelling out $$ for analog effects? It seems to defeat their purpose.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    With a clean SS or clean tube Warm sound in will give you a Warm sound out but louder

Tube heads are generally made to give a tube sound. They're colored so people know they're tubes. In fact "heads" in general even SS are colored, the preamps that come with them are colored so you get some characteristic sound of the manufacturer.

If you just have an clean power amp amp think of it this way, take a recording of a great sounding bass or guitar (however it was created). Play this through a clean amp and it still sounds good, but louder.

Think of your effects and other signal processing as like a recording you want to play through a clean amp.

IMHO

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    :confused: Most analog effects are SS. There are relatively few tube effects.

And if you want expensive effects, check out the high-end digital delays.

10. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    ...and SS amps are mostly analog.

11. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I suspect the answer depends on whether you prefer tube or solid state amps and has little to do with effects.

12. I favour solid-state for the usual reasons: weight, reliability and clarity. I rehearse at a studio so I get to use an Ampeg SVTDI and an Eden Metro, have been for the last 2 years. Not really my tone, sometimes it can be too mushy for my tastes. That being said, I do like the SVT growl. When I wrote the original post, I was thinking of mating a Fulltone Bass Drive with a Thunderfunk for a few specific applications.

I'm not a purist - if I don't get an exact SVT growl, that's fine. So long as I like what I'm getting, I'm happy.

13. i dont really know anything yet, but since i just bought an all tube head, and i plan on building up a nice big pedal board to dance on, i'll let you know if a few.

i forgot who said but i really hope its not true, and things like chorus and synth sounds nice through all tube heads. But i couldnt really see why not, since they do sound so good to begin with.

14. A vox ac30 makes any effect sound better. I would assume it would work the same on bass.

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I run my GT-6B through my Mesa 400+, and the FX are actually more present than using all SS rigs at loud volumes, bevlieve it or not. Just be aware that you will get a bit of OD on everything if you have the amp up enough, but this seems to add to my FX, and sounds unique when playing with some reverb or chorus.

16. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I run chorus through an all tube amp. Sounds full, warm and rich.. Whilst still been clean and defined.

Lovely.

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My thoughts are that the premise of this thread is nonsensical and irrelevant. Whatever sounds good sounds good.

18. Philbiker. I asked a question because I didn't have an answer. I posted this thread because I am planning on investing a lot of money into a new head and cab. I am trying to collect as much information as I can so I can make an INFORMED decision and not flush my money down the toilet.

My thread isn't irrelevant. Your answer and attitude is.

By the way, although I'm not a regular on the board anymore, when I was posting regularly, I was doing my damn best to contribute to the board. See the Newbie Links thread that has been stuck to Bass Forum for the LAST FEW YEARS? It took me a long time to assemble that thread. That is helpful. See your post above. That isn't.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I thought you posed a very valid question. I hope some of the responsese were helpful! :)

20. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah I was getting into more of an example along the lines of something like this. Take a this flanger for example.

The original ADA Flanger is a vintage thick swirly chewy, and versatile flanger that is considered by many one of the best flanger's ever made. It has anolog circutry but is still SS and doesn't have tubes or whatever (used ~$200-$250)

Then you have a Boss BF-3 which is thin, too swirly sounding like its overtop the note instead of part of it. Real "digital" sounding. (used >100) Digital circutry.

The ADA is much more desired for it's warmer more natural sound, so why not run it through a more naturally sounding amp?