1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solid state GUITAR head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigbass94, Mar 16, 2008.

1. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007
    So, how many of you have used solid state, or valved pre amped, amps? I was thinking of getting a marshall SS amp(no idea what model) or one of those crate ones. Just to let you know, this isn't my first choice, I have just been throwing around ideas for a new bass amp. Thanks for the help.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    so are you gonna play guitar or bass through this head?? just wondering. guitar can sound pretty cool through a bass rig IMO. solid state gear is getting better at sounding "warm". I currently own an SS and a tube pre head, see sig. I prefer the eden right now, but I don't attribute the warm round sound ONLY to the tube it might also be comming from the mosfet solid state amp too!!

just my $.02

3. Yeah, the FET amps sound quite warm for guitar. I like the sound of my Nemesis amps. My WT-390 head also sounds good, due to the "Golder Ear" chip in the preamp.

The transfer characteristics of the output MOSFETs are similar to tubes.

4. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    A cheap SS guitar head for bass? Why?

5. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007
    cause guitar heads are, most of the time, cheaper.

6. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    surely you will risk blowing the speakers, by a lower wattage, bass head and you'll get the same volume, same price and better reliability. You can pick up a cheap stagg or fender bass combo for £20, get just as much volume as a SS marshal guitar amp. I prefer the sound of SS bass amps generally, tend to feel bigger, it seems a bit of a fasion thing to want tube amps all the time.

7. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    ps i do play amps bigger than 20watts im talking in comparission to using a guitar amp

8. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I don't know man, You can get a Behringer bass head new for 200 bucks. I'd do a cheap bass head before cheap guitar head.

9. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Line 6 maybe. They sound great for guitar.

10. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Indeed. I also see vintage SS heads like the Acoustic 150 or certain Sunn models come up for cheap every once in awhile. The Acoustic heads will put out a ton of volume and sound great, IMO.

11. IMHO, SS guitar amps are going to be way, way underpowered for bass.

As mentioned above, I would rather get a cheap SS bass head than a cheap SS guitar head.

Now, tube guitar heads, that's another story ;D

12. bigbass94

bigbass94

Apr 4, 2007

13. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I think the problem you're going to run into is that a high powered guitar amp is usually around 100 watts. Which makes for an awfully low powered bass amp. Also, the EQ will be centered on different frequencies than a bass amp's EQ, which might make it difficult to tweak your tone.

Not saying it's not possible, and you know, it just might sound cool, but i think volume could be a major issue.

14. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Years ago I used a Acoustic 270 head for bass.
    I liked it better than the 370.
    270= guitar head
    370 = bass head