1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Solid State Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigsnaketex, Jul 21, 2012.

1. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    I am looking for real world suggestions for a great solid state head. I have an Fender Bassman 300 which I love, but sometimes tubes can let you down at the wrong time so I am in the market for a solid state amp that will drive my stack (4 x 10 and 1 x 15) with no problem if something goes wrong. I am not looking for the best bang for my huck, I just want the best I can get and I'd like to know why you think it's the bomb!!

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Hybrid here, but I love the Aguilar DB750. To me, it's the best amp head on the market by far.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Listen, tubes ain't light bulbs. They're a lot less delicate than people think at first. Yeah, once in a while a tube will go out, but it's not like it happens all the time. It did happen tonight, though, with a rental SVT from 1987. Worked fine at soundcheck.

OK, well maybe it wouldn't hurt to have a small SS amp lying around ;) There are a lot of really good ones...I'm partial to Ampegs but there are a lot of good ones by other brands as well. Go play a few and see what you think.

4. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Little Mark III here. $600, unless on sale. It sounds great with no filters on and eq knobs all at noon. No fuss, no hassle. Reliable, too, IMO. It sounds great in a variety of cabs I've tried, all of them. I think by now the LMII and III have proven themselves.

A Markbass Big Bang is about the same only with a headphone jack. $700.

Need more power? Little Mark 800.

5. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Theres a fender 1200 in the classifieds here right now which i believe is the same preamp as your bassman 300 but with a SS power section. Me I love vintage acoustics, a 370 will suit you fine for moving that full stack (not everyones cup of tea though but the best sounding solidstate amp ever). GK is awesome too (all are very versatile and rugged, never let me down) 800rb or 1001RBII should suit you fine and not break the bank.

6. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    I've been looking at the Fender 1200 and I played through a guys rig last Friday (you know how when you go see another band play, they enevitably drag you on stage for a song or two....) He had a cherry mid 60's Jazz Bass and a GK 800rb driving a GK 8x10 and it did sound quite nice. I felt it and heard it!

I must admit that I have been intrigued by the Aguilar DB751 - but that's a lot of spare change.......I've never heard one except on demo's via the web but everything I've read seems to point to them being quite amazing.

But alas, I'm not really looking to replace my Bassman 300, I just want something handy to use if it happens to develop an attitude mid-gig. My keyboard amp, a SWR California Blonde keeps cutting in and out and it's very frustrating when it happens mid-song (as it always seems to).

So any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have been very happy with Carvin amplifiers since the late 80's/early 90's.

8. stldon72

stldon72

Jul 22, 2012
    St. Louis
    Ive tried the Ampeg PF500, Fantastic sounding amp but i didnt feel I was getting a full 500 watts and it was NOT rack mountable. Just didnt have any a$$ to it. Right now Im using a Mark Bass F1. That thing has tons of punch to it. Im not sure I really like the sound Im getting from it though. Next on my list to try is the GK MB500.

9. There is a lot of power tied up in the gain and EQ of this amp. If its just set flat a lot will be missed.

10. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    What cabinets are you pushing with this?

11. stldon72

stldon72

Jul 22, 2012
    St. Louis
    I had the gain set to noon and vol set to 1 o'clock. As for the eq I had the mids set 3/4 of the way up and highs and mids I fluctuated around the noon position. On top of that Im using an Ibanez bass with active pickups.

Im using 2 hartke cabs. 2x10 and a 1x15. I took back the ampeg and am using a MarkBass F1. Both 500 watt amps and the MarkBass hits alot harder.