Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solid State of Mind

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4String_Ninja, Aug 15, 2000.

1. 4String_Ninja

4String_Ninja

Aug 14, 2000
    Im lookin to buy a solid state amp and the only good ones that i know of are Gallien Krueger. Are there any other solid states that are as good or better?

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hehe, i like the thread title!

Ampeg and Genz Benz come to mind. I think epifani's are solid, and those are supposed to be awesome, but theyre really expensive, and heavy. Id say SWR and Eden, but i believe most are hybrids...i think. So there you go! Theres also Crate, Peavey, and Carvin, but those arent as good as Gallien Krueger, IMHO.

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    SWR, Eden and Ampeg are all worth a look. Play your bass thru as many different ones as you can.

Mike

4. >Theres also Crate, Peavey, and Carvin, but those arent as good as Gallien Krueger, IMHO.

I cannot speak for Carvin or Crate but I disagree regarding Peavey. A friend parked his G-K 400RB at my house for a couple of months and although I found it to be a good amp, I thought it no match for my Peavey gear.

The 400RB is loud but I found that it was difficult to get tonal definition at louder volumes. At that time, I was using a Peavey MAX pre-amp (that I still own) and a PV 260 power amp, 130w per side @ 4 ohms (that I recently traded in towards a Mackie 1400i power amp).

I got better tone and cut through better with the PV than with the G-K.

That's my experience and, of course, YMMV.

John

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I use an Ampeg 200t it has great tone and is very durable and reliable. In the last few years they added a 9 band eq and changed the name to SVT 350H. IMHO these are very underrated amps in the world of bass,which is a good thing cause you can usually pick up a good used one from $350 to $450.

6. I've always been a big fan of GK, they have a deffinate solid state sound but somehow it's unique from others i've heard.

My last rig was a GK 400rcb with a 4x10 GK cab and it was beautiful. I also ran the head through a Peavy 15' cab -that was a low rumbling thunder from the top of the mountain!

I'm looking to buy some GK gear and some of the older stuff seems to be very affordable right now.

7. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    I have an Ampeg B2R which is a MosFet type SS amp. It has 9-band equalization, effects loop, DI out. It sounds great and has more than enough headroom to compete with loud drums, guitar and keyboards. I bought mine new for $489 but have seen them on ebay going for $375. I've been very happy with it.

8. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I used to like Trace Elliot,don't know what they're like since Gibson took'em over.Also,Fender's new Bassman series is worth a look,but the jury's not out on their reliability.They're brand new.

9. smurfy27

smurfy27

Jan 30, 2009
    Not that it matters but i believe Trace Elliot was taken over by Peavey.

10. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I am wondering that no one has mentioned MarkBass so far.

11. Especially considering that almost everyone on TB is a Markbass fanboy. :bag:

12. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    The original Trace Elliot was taken over by Gibson. I don't know if the current Trace is still independent or not.

Thunderfunk and Aguilar, I haven't seen them mentioned. I mention Thunderfunk because I love my old AMP BH-420 and TF is a direct descendant. Aguilar always interested me. I'm playing Genz Benz (Shuttle 6.0) and I'm very happy with them. Am I mistaken or did Mark Bass Little Mark II somehow manage to not get mentioned?

KO

13. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    Trace Elliot is now on the Peavey web site

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I would disagree regarding Carvin. For my tastes, the Carvin B1500 is preferable to anything G-K makes. Allowing for differing tastes and setting aside my own preferences, I think you'd have to say that at the very least, the B1500 belongs in the same conversation. As do, IMHO, Genz-Benz and MarkBass. Aguilar costs more but is excellent. So is Thunderfunk. You could look at EBS too. Ampeg SS amps are also worth a look, though they're not my own cup of tea so much.

15. I got to say Carvin puts out an very solid product for the money. They are very sterile(not much coloring at all of your tone) so if thats your thing then they work perfectly.

16. I recommend Markbass

highly

lightweight, reasonable, good options and great sounding.

17. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Marietta, Ga
    That's probably because this thread is from 2000 ;)

OMG Zombie thread :p

18. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Aw dang, I didn't even see that. 8.5 years, my goodness. Is that a record? Usually I avoid the zombies, but this one got me good.

19. Traynors very cheap for quality stuff, not likely to get it in the states but good Laney stuff is, well, good too. Big fan of Laney myself, just wish it wasn't in such ****** hands at the moment.