1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

solid state or tube?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Asa Samuel, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Solid state amp.

110 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. Tube amp.

128 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. Carrot amp.

42 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. i was just wondering what the majority of people use, i have personally always used solid state amps but i guess i've just not had the time to explore tubes so i may find i prefer tubes one day.

but what about all you guys and gals?

Thanks.
    Bass_Junkie.

2. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    tube for recording. mostly. solid state live and loud tho.

depends i guess. but this seems right for me and the band.

i do not even use preamps now live .

bass into ebs multicomp pedal, and into DBX rack 31 band EQ into power amp stereo into 2 cabs at 800 watts each 4 ohm.

LOUD and CLEAR

3. I mainly use my SVT-II for bass, but I do have a peavey firebass aswell.

For guitar i use a trace elliot speedtwin H100 custom shop, which is 100 watt tube (switchable to 50 watt, and now modded to drop it to 25 watts if wanted). And a Peavey Classic 30, 30 watt all tube combo.

I just prefer the sound you tend to get with tube amps, but thats all it is, personal preference :)

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    It#s solid state for me.
    I can always add hat tubey colouring if I feel the need to do so. If I had a tube amp ,I couldnt get rid of it,in case it wasnt called for in a given situation.

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Where's the option for hybrids? I use a hybrid SVT-3PRO.

6. All tube for me.

Too many bad experiences with solid state amps breaking down, and I've never played a SS that sounded or responded right for me.

I know that its meant to be SS amps that are more reliable than tube, but it just hasn't been my personal experience. Even if I found a great sounding SS head (or hybrid) I would be too paranoid to use it live.

7. My thoughts exactly. I guess the OP is looking at it from the perspective of "all tube" or "everything else", or perhaps if it has any tube content or not?

Personally I use either SS, tube or hybrid depending on a number of factors: the type of music played, venue, levels needed etc.

8. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I've been a solid state guy for many years having tried all the hybrid stuff(Eden, SWR, etc), but having recently acquired a SVT II my opinions having totally changed. Not only is the SVT II fat sounding, but it is very quick, punchy, and articulate, something I did not expect from this amp. I used to complain about hauling around my DB750, but the SVT II sounds so good that I don't care about the 85 lbs. I voted TUBE!!!

9. ShirazBop

ShirazBop When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    SS Thunderfunk w/tube emulation (the switch) + Accugroove Tri-115L main rig.

SS Ampeg PB250 with a SVT DI (tube) in the front end + PB-112H for the practice/backup/fit in my trunk rig.

10. Longhorn

Longhorn

Sep 23, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Tube pre, solid amp

11. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    After switching the tube I don't think I'll play a solid state amp again. I really like the tubes a lot.

12. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    +1000 My Trace Elliot V-type is awesome.

13. tallbassguy

tallbassguy

Jan 10, 2007
    Houston Texas
    Been a while since I've posted here...
    but
    I have had 2 really nice tube amps and sold them both.
    The Sunn 300T and the Peavey Classic 400.
    Both were just to darn heavy to haul around.
    They do make good space heaters though.

I typically use my GK 700 RBII, small i9n size, big in power, and great on tone.
    and I have my hybrid Yorkie 800 .

I prefer small and light although I must say I like the tone of an all tube amp very much.

14. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I play a variety of them. I have an all tube, a hybrid, and all SS. Right now I'm playing the hybrid, but I think the all tube sounds the best. The SS is just for bedroom stuff and small gigs really...but it'll handle anything I throw at it. I might be getting rid of it in favor of another SS head though...one that I think will suit my needs a little better...and that would probably become my main head for everything.

15. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    I tend to have a preference for Solid State. But with that being said, I prefer the preamp tone of my tube-emulating SansAmp RBI.

16. I have to agree with I got a Mohawk, and other s on the all-tube , SVT II. It is unbeatable the 85 lbs suck, but the tone and the juice you get from it is unmatched. I also like Mesa/Boogie's hybird amps that have a tube pre and solid state power section. In terms of solid state, I am biased towards Gallien-Krueger. I like their tone, lighter weight and everything I've heard about them for reliability.

17. I love my D-180, but my tastes change now & then.

18. I like soliditubes.

19. svtbass

svtbass

May 26, 2003
    Tucson, AZ
    Code:
    I love my D-180, but my tastes change now & then.
    And when that happens I just dial in another tone on my D-180. I've got a Skunkworks SVT too, but the 180 is the many-toned monster. If you can't take the weight, go back to guitar.

In my subjective 40 year bass playing experience, SS amps run the gamit from having one tone to having none. And the hybrids have a solid one tone.

A lot of them have a good tone, and you can add your various pedals to try and trick the ears, but it's kind of like an aural vascectomy.:spit:

20. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Modeling is amazing.