1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

solid state or tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbass4me, Dec 27, 2010.

1. fenderbass4me

fenderbass4me

Jan 4, 2010
    I happen to like the midrange type of sound so I think I'm better off with a solid state head like an eden wtb-400 what does everyone think:meh:

2. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I think there's no way you can decide between SS and tube based on the desire for a lot of midrange, low end or treble output. Just one example: The SVT has been known to deliver mids from time to time.;)

3. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    Everyone thinks you should try using the search function. :cool:

4. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    [​IMG]

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    solid state if i'm moving it or paying for its upkeep; tube if you are.

6. Blacksack

Blacksack

Dec 10, 2010
    i like the sound of tube amps which is why i bought a 400w laney nexus tube however its heavy as hell and costs a fortune to re valve and re bias plus its a nightmare lugging it to and from gigs not to mention the irritation it causes sound techs with the "warm up/cool down" times

bottom line in my opinion
    tube sounds better but solid state is just soooo much more practical for a gigging bassist

why not get a solid state with a valve preamp?

7. Sartori

Sartori Supporting Member

Lots of tube amps get great midrange. Especially when a little bit overdriven.

8. dopejohnpaul

dopejohnpaul

Oct 6, 2009
    Denver, CO
    The preamp system on my SVT-VR contributes plenty of mids to the mix. The whole SS/Tube thing comes down to preference. It's an apples and oranges thing; I don't think one is better than the other.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    its_a_trap.

10. Sartori

Sartori Supporting Member

Just try a bunch of heads and go with whatever you like best.

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    [​IMG]

12. Ever hear anyone says they wish that their tube amp sounded like it was an SS amp? Do you think there might be a reason for this? Cheers.

13. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    I used to say this all the time in the 70s when all I could afford was a Dual Showman and I wanted a Mac 2300. Eventually I got a 2105 and was happy.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    believe it or not, i have heard a few weirdos say that from time to time. i have to assume that's why a lot of tube amp makers will also make solid state amps ;)

me, i own both. always had at least one of each except for brief periods, and probably always will. there is a hell of a lot to dig about current solid state products, more now than ever. they're getting really good with copping the tones of tube amps. and of course solid state amps are generally much lighter. but when i play through a tube amp, there's a certain dynamic going on with all those tubes and big transformers pushing your bass energy that has yet to be duplicated in solid state or hybrid technology.

never walked out of a show because the bassist used solid state, but i prefer tubes.

15. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    Different animals here. Like comparing dump trucks to sports cars. They will both get you to school (unless you like to drive over sports cars).

16. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Yes I'm a tube fanboy, but I'd rather play a well voiced solid state amp than a tube amp that was made with a crappy tone stack. I can think of a few tube amps marketed to bass players in years past that weren't so good. Fortunately the number of not so good sounding tube amps that were made by a few manufacturers is rather low.

17. g&lplayer

g&lplayer

Feb 24, 2010
    Chicago
    okay...sorry for being a tiny bit off topic but...what is it with the carrots?

18. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    I prefer SS. Tubes sound nice in the music store, practice room and the living room. But once they're pushed, all that glassy goodness turns to distortion. I want the bass to be as clean as possible when it's loud.

19. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy

This is the first time I hear that tube amps are for bedroom practice!

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    longtime tb way of pointing out irrelevancy.

speaking of carrots, plangent, you are right. thanks to you, i've got my svt/810 set up in my bedroom and will no longer use it on gigs because it doesn't get as loud cleanly as a 2000w solid state power amp. i really need that much clean power.

:eyebrow:

j/k...svt has PLENTY of clean power for most. if not for you, then play solid state.