Solid State Power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Reason_D, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Reason_D

Mar 1, 2004
    Hey Guys,
    Do you have any suggestions on a good mid range priced Solid State Power Amp to pair with my Sans Amp? I am currently using a 400 watt Yorkville amp to power my rig. I would like to up the Power since I am starting to play bigger venues and my bass gets lost in the thunder of a big stage and room.

I should add that I use an Ampeg 4x10 BSE HS and a G/K 1x15 for cabs.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'm not sure what you consider mid-priced, but a lot of TBers use Stewart World series, QSC PLX or RMX series power amps -- esp. the Stewart World 1.6, 2.1, any PLX, and the RMX1850HD (a bit heavy, but great price).

They seem to be reasonably well-made, fairly reliable, and sound decent enough.

Second-hand Crest CA series or Crown MacroTech series get good ravings from most of their owners (more heavy iron amps).
  3. bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    yep lo freq-i use a stewart 2.1 and love it.clean and lots of power.oh,light weight too.
    dont know what you consider mid-priced either but i see these used for around $500 ish
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My favorite lightweight power amp: Stewart World 2.1

My favorite overall SS power amp (heavy, though): Crest CA9
  5. For around $400 or $500, you could pick up a SoundTechPS802.
    Single rack space, about 15 pounds, and 800 watts.
    Reliable and clean. Excellent value for the money.
  6. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    QSC has pretty low prices for their RMX series, and they're very reliable amps. They weigh about 40lbs a piece, but if you need something for less money, then its worth it over the PLX series.

For your cabs, I would recommend a QSC RMX850, running mono-bridged. That would put out 830Watts to be split between your two cabs, or 600Watts into just one cab. So, for instance, if you only wanted to bring one cab to a gig, you'd still have a good load of power. And the price? $300 new. Used, probably about $150-$200. Good luck beating that :smug:
  7. Reason_D

Mar 1, 2004
    Interesting, the Stewart seems to come up a lot, but the QSC seems rather affordable. As much as I do not like to have price as an option, sometimes I have no choice.

What kind of affect on sound am I looking at betwwen different power amps? In theory you don't want your sound affected at all, right?

I will see what my local music store has for rent and try soom poop out.

Thanks again guys!

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, I actually paid a good bit more for my used QSC PLX 3002 than I did for my used Stewart World 2.1, so I guess prices may vary.

As for tonal differences, check out my comments in this thread.

9. low_boy

Mar 11, 2005
    Das Goot Lab Gruppen Goot...but $$$$$$$$! Never heard one, but they get rave reviews.

I'm voting +1 on the used Crest CA-6/9. Based on the consistent buzz in favor of the Crests I don't think you could go wrong. For your big venue's power may not be a problem, but I chose a CA-6 over the 9 since the CA-9 calls for 20 amp service. I was afraid I would pop the breaker in the cheap dives that usually invite us to play. So far the bridged CA-6 has been fine for me. I could probably get by fine in non bridged mode but I don't have anything for the other channel to do!
    Anyone had any problem popping breakers with the bigger amps?
  10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    None so far [knock on wood].
  11. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I was quite happy with the QSC PLX 1602 I used to have. The only time I had to turn it all the way up was when I had the Trace GP12SMX preamp running into it, otherwise it was plenty powerful.
  12. Go for the boat anchor, not one of those new fangled girlie-man amps. A CA9 is that last amp you'll ever need...until you're too old to lift it that is. :D
  13. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Boat anchor is right.. the CA4 is three lbs heavier than an Aguilar DB750! I'm guessing that the power amp stage of the DB750 is similarly well built though, thus the raves.