Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solid State Preamp Search

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stewmc5222, Jul 14, 2002.

1. hey everyone,

I'm curious who, aside from Glockenklang, makes totally solid state preamps. any ideas or suggestion? someone told me that EBS makes one, but I thought theirs were tube designs. can you guys help me?

from the low end,

Stew

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Trace Elliot is an obvious contender.

BBE has a bass preamp in their product line.

[..]

There used to be much more solid state preamps, but the hybrid preamps are just overwhelmingly more successful in the market.
    Most hybrid preamps also offer a solid state mode, and in some the tube in there isn't driven hot enough to be a major factor in the sound.

There are definitely more, but I'm too tired to dig it up from memory or websites.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You'll find a bunch of us like the SansAmp RBI rackmount preamp a lot!

4. Knack

Knack

Mar 25, 2002
    New York City
    Sadowsky and Aguilar

5. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    G-K makes a SS pre-amp

6. wow!

thanks for the responses, everyone.

as it turns out I'm hooking up an RBI as a stopgap, but I'll probably keep it out of laziness. if anyone else comes up with more, I'd appreciate it. stay well and take care, everybody,

from the low end,

Stew

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You may find yourself liking the RBI as much as I do!

Hint: Play around with the "blend" control. I've found I prefer it at about 40%. All of the suggested settings are at 100%, which is a wee bit too tubey for my ear.

8. Yamaha PB1, Peavey, Ampeg, Roland dontknowwhichone, those are out of production, GK one is just before production (according their website).
    I would recommend you PB1. For the money, you cannot beat it.

9. what can I say? the TB community is about as cool as it gets! I appreciate everything everone has submitted so far. I'll keep in mind the Blend control tip, Heavy Duty. very cool,

from the low end,

Stew