Solid State Shootout - what manufacturer is making the most popular SS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve_man, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Aguilar

6 vote(s)
  2. EBS

9 vote(s)
  3. Eden

14 vote(s)
  4. Epifani

2 vote(s)
  5. Eupohic Audio

18 vote(s)
  6. Gallien Krueger

45 vote(s)
  7. Genz Benz

3 vote(s)
  8. Glockenlang

21 vote(s)
  9. Markbass

3 vote(s)
  10. Phil Jones

4 vote(s)
  11. other - please specify

27 vote(s)
  1. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Lately I've noticed that amp manufacturers have been taking the solid state approach. I was wondering which of these solid state amps you like and why.

also what type of tone do you get from your preference?

2. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I said "other", only because I just ordered a Hartke 4000 amp. It's a SS amp, unlike their *500 series which are hybrid tube/SS amps.

Bass Player gave it their Editor's Choice Best Buy Award back in 2000. It's gotten alot of great reviews.

I've played through Hartke's 3000 a friend had and it kicked some nice bass, but it does not have the tonal control of the 4000.

I like the fact that manufacturers are putting alot of effort into SS amps. No tubes means less to worry about. Granted, tube amps have their own sound...but SS has come a long way in getting a great bass sound. Those who are tubers, will probably never embrace SS...but to each his own.
  3. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Personally I am finding the best tones from a hybrid. I used to have a Hartke 3500 and could really hear the differences between the 2 preamps. I dod use a blend of the 2 mind you, tube on 6 SS on 3.

I voted other, but it was for the Yorkville XS400H that I am runnign through now. It is a hybrid, so my vote may not count for that reason.

My Canadian 2 cents
  4. ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I've played on Ampeg SS and GK I prefer GK. The GK tone is better with much more power to work with.
    I havn't tried anything else. I'm perfectly content with using a gk forever.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I hate to say it, but when you say "most popular" I think PEAVEY because I see so many people using it.

In terms of overall bass amp sales I would bet Peavey swamps almost everybody worldwide.

As far as "lately" taking the solid state approach, they've only been doing it for about 35 years now!!!! By the early 80s Mesa/Boogie was the only tube bass amp you could still buy new, Fender and Ampeg had stopped making tube amps altogether.

As far as your mfr list, Epifani is not yet shipping and Markbass and Phil Jones have just barely started. Hard to like something you can't try out!!!!
  6. bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Glockenklang. Cleanest sweetest thing I've ever heard. Only wish I had the $$$ right now to buy it. :bawl:

7. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm hoping for somebody from NAMM to speak up.
    Also someone has already voted for the Aguilar AG 500.

So we may hear a few opinions.
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'd have to give a vote to the Ampeg B100R. No other solid state amp comes close tone-wise. :bassist:
  9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I voted for G-K. My 1001RB 2-10" combo is great for small to medium rooms. It's ultra reliable and sounds good. Very tight, punchy sound and a lot of different tones are available.

I wish I could try out some of the other amp brands you've listed. I'm my area it's pretty much Ampeg, SWR, Mesa, G-K, and Peavey- which are all fine amps- but the boutique brands are'nt stocked by my favorite local store.

For reliability and "bang for the buck" I always vote for Peavey
  10. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I chose Phil Jones, but Glockenklang is also really nice. I should probably do a A/B comparison to really find out.
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    had a chance to blast thru an EA iAMP500 w/ my Epifani UL3x10 & Sadowsky reverse PJ-5, and wow, what a killer little tone machine!

first off, its much smaller and lighter than i remember my old iAMP350 to be. much less deep, too. tonally, found it really easy to find my punchie, low dubby, fat fingerstyle tone with the EQ. and the deep switch is awesome. flicked it on, and the ceiling fixtures started to shake and shimmy! :cool:

the high mids were a bit harsh for me, but the EQ made it very easy to rid of that. also, the carrying case was quite nice. and IMHO, would prolly fit an iAMP800.

unlike my Avalon U5 setup, the iAMP lacks a certain tubey like sag to the tone, which gives a certain richness. but in trade, you get an immediate, super responsive, turn on a dime like attack and feel that more than makes up for it. besides, if i needed some tube, i'd prolly run my SIB FatDrive thru the loop.

my only fear now, is that i feel like something like the iAMP800 may reduce my other gear obselete! oh nelly!

still waiting on a friend to return my Acme B-1 pair, which is really where i wanna try the 500. will report back soon. :p
  12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Glockenklang makes the best (solidstate) bass gear IMO. Cheaper than most US gear too (e.g. Eden).
  13. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I love the growly quickness of GK but sometimes it's too quick for what you want. Then I like the growl of say an SVT.
  14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Cheaper in Germany I'm sure :rolleyes:

Here in the USA Glock is very expensive. I have yet to see one in a store or in use on a gig.
  15. My 1st big SS amp was a Peavey Mark IV, (which I still have) I switch to it when my Sunn 200S started giving me trouble. It got bounced out of the end of the van and the power transformer broke loose from the case and was just hanging by the wires. (it still worked mind you) I later took a piece of perforated metal and anckored it back onto the case. Anyhow, of the newer stuff I've played I like Ampeg and GK about as good as anything. Peavey always comes up with a nice amp from time to time. I'll shut up now ;)
  16. specifiying - Walter Woods Ultra
  17. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you want most popular, then it yould be GK here... the 800 RB is the jazz standard, and the MB150 is very popular with DB-players. As for my preference, me too I sould choose a GK from that list
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Most popular? As Brian said, that sounds like Peavey.

My favorite is no longer in business.
  19. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    then give me your favorite SS.
  20. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My bet is that Brad means Acoustic... ;)