1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Solid State, Tube, Mosfet, Digital ... Help please !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patpol44, Nov 6, 2009.

1. patpol44

patpol44

Oct 28, 2008
    Last time I played music was well ... 20 years ago !! In those days everybody had a Peavey and tube amps were not very popular. Today's a different story.

What is the difference between Hybrid, digital, mosfet and the new type called high voltage like the Ibanez Promethean ?

What is class D power amp ?

The way I see it is that in a near future bass amp will go smaller, more powerful and digital.

Thanks in advance

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I'll bite on a couple: First tubes amps started to fall out of favor due to worry of replacement tubes drying up (and the weight of course). Now there is plenty of new tube production.
    Hybrids either match a tube preamp with a Solid State power amp (MOSFET, JFET, Class A, AB or Class D) In rare cases a S.S. preamp with a tube power amp.
    "Digital" usually replaces the heavy conventional power supply with a light weight digital switching power supply.
    This help any?

4. patpol44

patpol44

Oct 28, 2008
  5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I would suggest you black-box your search.
    forget about what's inside.
    forget about what it looks like.
    You could go by measurements but there aren't any.
    Instead, Go out and listen and try a couple for a month or two.
    IMHO - the mini's aren't popular just because they're light - they're popular because they sound good.