1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

solid state vs all-tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gfgfgf, Jun 22, 2006.

1. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    if you were to choose between alltube fender bassman 20 and solid state yorkville let's say 100. what would you buy? let's say, the price is the same

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Depends, what kind of tone are you looking for?

3. I am leaning towards getting an all tube amp, not only for the tone, but the power, even though I've been trying to reduce my rig size. I bought an Ampeg B500DR (all solid) with a 410HLF cabinet last year because it was relatively portable, had four tone pre-sets, and well, it's an Ampeg. Sounded great at Guitar Center by myself, sounds like crap jamming with friends (stoner rock, mostly). Part of it is the moderate power of the amp, but when I turn it up to 8, the tone is terrible.

I'm now using a Peavey T-Max which was given to me a couple of years ago. It has a tube pre-amp and sounds considerably better at higher volumes.

Probably early next year, I'm going to start shopping for the smallest and lightest all-tube amp I can find that puts out at least 400 watts.

Since I'm mostly a hard rock player, consider the source when I say that to my ears, tube distortion at high volume settings sounds pretty good to me where solid state distortion (at least "unintentional" distortion) sounds too harsh at higher volumes.

I'll do a thread search, but what are some relatively compact, heavy-rock capable all tube amps out there?

4. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm looking for John Entwistle in "my generation" sound or Chris Squire on "roundabout"...

5. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm just a big fan of 67-75 rock like "beatles", "zeppelin" , uriah heep", " the who", "pink floyd", etc.

6. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    The solution: Led Zep was Solid State. Hurrah you're saved well kind ;)

7. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Why not look at a nice tube preamp, and pair it with a lightweight but powerful solidstate amplifier?

Might be a good compromise.

8. gfgfgf

gfgfgf

Apr 27, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I created a topic but no one responded. can you give me advice- what should I buy for that kind of music - korean G&L L2000 or Yamaha BBG5S? or something else?

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Or a bad one. If you want the roundabout or My Generation tone, you'll need a valve amp.

Maybe it's more because Peavey is actually honest with their power ratings. :rolleyes:

Anyways, having a tube preamp has nothing to do with how distortion sounds at higher volumes if you have a solid state power section. A ss power amp will sound like crap when clipped no matter what.

Oh, and you may be surprised. A 200 watt tube head like the Traynor YBA200 might be loud enough (with replaced valves, of course). A 400 watt tube amp is REDICULOUSLY loud. Too loud for even me. :eek:

10. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    So then don't clip the power amp:smug:

But a YBA200 would be my second choice.