1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

solid state vs tube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jay43, Sep 3, 2011.

1. jay43

jay43

Jan 4, 2006
    just curious as to what you use and why. Looking to get a bigger amp and was wondering on what everyone else plays and why

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Both (G-K Fusion 550). Played all tube for decades and SS almost as long. Now six stage tube preamp and 500 watts SS power. :)

3. jay43

jay43

Jan 4, 2006
    i have ss now and loved the sound of the old tube amps. just curious if the bigger ss have similar sound or if tube or hybrid is the way to go. I have a crate bt10 practice amp now so........

4. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    Nothing I have heard has sounded anywhere near as good as an all tube amp. On the other hand, nothing I have attempted to lift has been as heavy nor cost as much either. I will get one when I have money and roadies :p

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I use the best of both worlds...high voltage all tube preamp with a High powered class D power amp (peavey IPR).

6. JamNight

JamNight

Jul 25, 2011
    It's really about the sound you are after, style of music you play, and most important - what you like to hear. Tone from tubes is warm and wholesome, with plenty of power and growl. The downside is that an all tube amp can be very expensive and heavy. Solid state are typically less expensive and lighter. You can get a nice tube-like sound using a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal. I use both tube and SS...it just depends on what I'm playing.

7. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    Peavey VB-2 user here. Love my rig.

That said, I use plenty of back line stuff and studio hand me downs and can get the sound I need just about anywhere.

Really, depends on what your ears want to hear.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I play a smaller amp. :D

9. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    AMPEG SVT-PRO 7 sweet class D amp with tube preamp and 1000 watts @ 4 OHMS, very tube sounding with a great 1 knob compressor!

10. When I first started I used tube. Early 1970's SVT to be exact. Then I went solid state, GK 800 RB. I went back to an early 70's SVT. Later, I went back to solid state, GK 1001RB-II. Recently, I went back to tube, Ampeg SVT 6 Pro (tube preamp, tube driver, mosfet power amp, 1,100 watts). It is really a matter of personal preference. As long as you buy quality gear and are happy with it, there really isn't any right or wrong answer.

11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Hard to go anywhere but up from there? You need to go out and try some amps for yourself.:D
    For me I get any "tone" I want from my rig, would I schelp around an all tube SVT again if I was younger........just so I could say I did. Like I said any "tone" I want I can dial in easy with the Fusion. :D

12. The best balance for me are amps with a tube in the preamp and SS in the power amp. Best of both worlds. I use a Warwick Pro Tube IV that is about 10+ years old so fixin to upgrade to a lighter and more modern new one. Luckily with amps like little mark tube and genz benz streamliner there's lots of options.

13. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    For me, I wouldn't get an all tube amp. The tone can be magnificent, but it's just not worth it. Not when you can have a small, light and cheap solid state amp and use an OD pedal. Or if that's not good enough, you can use a tube preamp, either separate or one that's built into an otherwise solid-state head.

We're not guitarists. Tubey tone can be emulated, done in pre, or just omitted altogether. The benefits of compromise is too great for most of us.

14. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    I am not sure about this.

15. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I'm saving up for a VB-3. Thirty-eight pounds doesn't sound too crazy and I'll run it through my Peavey 210.

16. Highpost

Highpost

Feb 14, 2011
    ny. nyc
    PART OF THE SOUND COMES FROM THE OUT PUT SECTION BEING TUBE AS WELL. BUT TUBE HEADS ARE A HASSLE TO SCHLEP. OTOH WITH A 100 WATT TUBE HEAD YOU CAN REPLACE A 300 WATT SOLID STATE HEAD. TUBES JUST SOUND/PUMP LOUDER. :bag:

17. wallybill

wallybill

Apr 4, 2007
    Tuscola, Il.
    I love my tube amps - they definitely sound better to me. That said, I often used an Eden wt-800 solid state amp for gigs since it's so much lighter. I'm the only one that notices the difference anyway, I go direct to the PA, so that's what most people hear. I still think I play better through a tube amp, may be the placebo effect but still...

18. tminus10

tminus10 Supporting Member

May 1, 2011
    Seattle
    I use both. I have a seperate tube preamp and then depending on the gig and style of music Im playing or how much weight I feel like schelping that day, I have a seperate tube power amp and a much lighter class H SS power amp.

I just cant get rid of my tube amps. They just have that tone of the music I grew up listening to. But sometimes a more modern, tighter sound is needed and I'll turn to the SS

Now I know that this isnt a practical solution for some and if its not for you, Id suggest looking into some of the Genz Benz hybrid heads. Really great sounding stuff.

19. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I bet most of us on TB are not using all-tube amplifiers. Do you think otherwise?

20. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    I'm sure that's true, and I would be among the presumed majority. But what's your point?

BTW, these threads are getting closed earlier and earlier by the mods, and I half suspect this is one of those "BS" threads identified in another recent thread, designed solely for the purpose of chain-yanking and hornet-nest-stirring.

Not that I'm necessarily against that, mind. :D