solid vs hollow or semi-hollow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by poomwah, Jun 28, 2008.

1. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I'm looking for a new bass, currently I play a thunderbird. I want to start a blues and blues rock project (gov't mule, allman brothers, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Derek Trucks, etc) I LOVE the way hollow bodies look. but I can't find any to play, so if I get one I'll have to order it. I've thought about semi hollow because of the epi rumblekat, figuring if my biggest influence is gov't mule, why not go with a bass designed by their late bass player. BUT, I don't know if he ever even played a semi on the recordings I've heard.
    Soooo.... how do I decide without even trying one out if its right for me or not? are there any famous bass players out there that played mostly semi's or hollows so I can listen to their material?
    what are the advantages and disadvantages to each? anyone with soundclips?
    thanks everybody

2. sirspoogesalot

sirspoogesalot

Apr 21, 2008
    London
    ok you might as well scrap the idea of a hollow bass, they are weak and in my opnion are tone deaf. However a semi hollow bass is different , you kinda get the best of both worlds; seni-hollow bass's look fab. they arnt to heavy and sound like what a good bass should sound like. ibanez released one but if your high on cash then i recomend an epiphone jack cassidy bass, THEY ARE THE SEXX

3. teej

teej Venmo @teej1986

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
  4. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    I have a hollow Univox Beatle Bass copy (I think the model is "Electra"). With flat wound strings, this is one of the coolest basses I own - at least 3 groups around here hire me to do recordings in the studio because I have That Bass. But it may not be the tone you're looking for. As you stated already, since you don't have one to play to be sure, you're at a disadvantage. So start cheap. Ibanez Artcore basses do very well. I've played the Allen Woody bass, and it has a wonderful unique tone - but again, maybe not what you're after for the price. Sounds like you have a fair bit more research to do...

5. ForestThump

ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Paris
    I have an Allan Woody that I like alot and would recommend.
    It is very good for Hofner-esque tones as well as more "strummy" styles of playing.
    It is obviously not capable of the same thump levels of Jazz and Precision basses. It is also not well suited for any kind of slap style playing.
    I personally do not understand buying an instrument just because you "like its looks".
    There are no music stores near where you live so that you can "try before you buy"?
    A craigs list ad looking for someone with this type of bass that you could try is perhaps an option.
    Choosing an instrument is serious business and there are differences between individual basses of the same make and model.
    It is also important to consider that your choice of amp and strings as well as how you play (pick and what kind of pick, fingers) also affects the sound enormously.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Jack Casady has a great rock tone to it, almost acoutic P type tone.

7. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    do the allen woody basses actually have the allen woody sound? most of his recordings were with thunderbirds, eb's and ricks
    I know he designed the rumblekat, I'm just wondering how close epiphone got to the mark

8. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    wow!! those all sound REALLY sweet

9. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I'd never buy an instrument JUST because of the way it looks. But if two instruments sound and feel the same, I'm going for the one that I like the looks of more.
    I've always loved the way hollows and semi hollows looked, so I figured I'd check into them

10. Anyone have clips of ASAT vs ASAT Semihollow basses?

11. teej

teej Venmo @teej1986

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
  12. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area

Awesome playing !!! They all sound sweet ! I do have a few questions 1) they're all strung with flats right ? 2) these clips played with your fingers do you have any played with a pick !?

Thanks for posting these ,uh ... I think !? I now have GAS

Rich

13. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    well , I can rule out the jack casady. My wife got her eb-0 lately and I've absolutely fallen in love with short scale. So from now on anything I buy is going to be a shorty.
    so at this point its between the rumblekat and the ibanez agb200