1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solid wire vs. stranded wire?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Dec 13, 2011.

1. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I saw those and immediately thought that they were THE answer! But then I realized that they are not temperature controlled and top out (quickly it seems) at 900 degrees which as you note is VERY hot. I was hoping they might have a screw on the side like my old one to crank the temp down a bit but no such luck. Now I'm wondering if you put the thing on a variac or other power controller and cut the input voltage back if you could pull that super hot temp down a tad without losing the quick start features.

2. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Well...

I've found that while it gets hot quickly the tip also loses heat quickly. I'm going to return it and get one of the Aoyue units that SGD suggested.

3. Whichever you choose, go with Teflon coating rather than PVC. The Teflon will not melt if you accidentally touch it with the soldering iron.