Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solidbody with piezo only

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mait, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Mait

Mait

Oct 18, 2001
    Estonia, Europe
    Hello everybody!

I'm trying to explain my goal. I have been surfing around the web to find out some new ideas and designs. One interesting thing I came across was basses with Lightwave pickups. I cannot really tell if these things work great but they really look great (no magnetic pickups, possibility of full-length fingerboard, etc). The only bad thing - these systems are not for retail and they are too expencive as well I guess.
    So what I would like to know - how would a neckthrough solid-body fretless bass sound if it will be equipped with piezo pickup only (Gotoh 510S piezo bridge or similar).
    So far I have no experience with piezos - every opinion is welcome.

Mait

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Rick Turner Electroline is also like that...he uses a Wilkinson bridge and piezo sound on it is really really good.

3. Mait

Mait

Oct 18, 2001
    Estonia, Europe
    OK, thank you for this information. I checked out these instruments and it seems my idea is nothing impossible. I will let you know in this forum when I proceed with my project.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I have not used a Turner piezo bridge yet, but I did find the ABM bridge that AllParts sells too harsh sounding to stand on its own. It sounded good blended with a magnetic pickup.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Rick Turner uses Wilkinson bridge, his own 'Reference' piezo (one per string), and an 18V HighLander preamp, which has separate gain for each string. It's not harsh at all, but it can get a bit boomy.

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    After doing much research because I'm curently building an hollowbody bass with piezo only (see avatar pic) I found that the harsh thing is more a preamp problem.

I've heard ABM piezo sounding just ok if used with the right preamp (in fact the right impedance would be the exact word to use).

I'm going to use ABM fot that bass...

peace, JP

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I used the Bartolini MPB-1 buffer with the ABM/piezo bridge, so it was buffered. It was mixed with a Bartolini M34C and run through an NTBT. Even with the treble rolled off, I didn't like the piezo alone.

8. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I like the FAAS system alone using a cheapo SX p-bass (fretless) and TI acousticore strings.

9. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Quality of that .wav is pretty foul, but the bass sounds awesome.

10. I know I bang on about Sei Basses all the time but Martin Petersen the Maker of Sei Basses has a 2nd hand 5 string fretless with lightwave for sale on the Sei bass web site.

The bass is not cheap but I have played it and it is beautiful in sound, playability and looks. The Buckeye burl is supurb and the build quality is up to Martins normal very high standards.

The Sei web site is www.seibass.com and you will find the details under 'pre-owned'

Give Martin a ring and see what he says about it.

Good luck in your search

Matthew