SolidGoldFX BETA mk1 vs mk2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hallic, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Hallic

Hallic

Sep 2, 2012
    I used to own the solidgold fx beta mk1 but have sold it since i was not using it at the time and had different musical tonal needs at the time. I also found it quite dark at the time, and it was not paying nicely with the Trace Eliot combo at the time(TE already being a dark setup) ;)

However im looking into getting one again, since i looking to use it in the Homestudio. I would be using it at low-gain setting, for the coloration, and sometimes just that hint of breakup-kinda thing. I think the DLX version is way to feature rich for me.

Question: How does the MK2 differ from the MK1 version?
    -Anyone on TB that owned an MK1 and upgraded to the mk2?
    -is the mode switch reducing the 'gain on tap' ?

Thank you for sharing your personal experiences

2. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Exactly the same pedal.

The switch is for "preamp" mode.
    It bypasses the gain knob completely, thus making the pedal a volume/ tone preamp.

Yes, i had both. Kept the mk1, the old orange and cream colored one.

Never tried the dlx.

Don't forget many versions have been made:
    High gain, germanium, LM308 etc....

cusar5 likes this.
  3. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    There was a white/black MOSFET version of mk1 as well.

The Beta is also a descendant of their old SuperDrive (not the reissued one).

ugly_bassplayer likes this.
  4. Hallic

Hallic

Sep 2, 2012
    thank you for the input!

@ugly_bassplayer.
    There's even an high gain version? I will need to avoid that one. I too had the Original creamy-orange one. Did you part with the Mk2 because you had no use for 'preamp mode' or was there another subtle difference?

@cusar5
    yes the LM308. Way to much grit for me.
    IT's so confusing that SGfx made the Beta in so many colours, alongside different versions aswell.....

5. Hallic

Hallic

Sep 2, 2012
    I wasnt aware there were 3 variants of the BETA MK2, but found this video. I am less confused, and more at the same time because googling just give all different colors of the pedal all the time. SGfx must really hate color coding

6. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Had my OG mk1 and got the mk2 as a backup, the 1 was discontinued.
    Yep, sold it for that exact reason, zero use for preamp mode.

Hallic and cusar5 like this.
  7. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    I really regret letting my SuperDrive go. Compared to the Beta mkII, which I had at the same time, it had a bit more grit, and a flatter EQ with a bit less bass boost.

Hallic likes this.
  8. Hallic

Hallic

Sep 2, 2012
    Quick Question: Anyone using the mk2 versions at higher operating voltage?

i am assuming it doesn't internally rectify voltage, so 9v in mean operation at 9v. same goes for 18v. it says 9-18V, would this mean it can take anything in between aswell? Say 12v?

I am asking since there is a good chance it will give me more the sound/timbre i am after: subtle breakup.

9. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Tried both. I prefer the Mk 1. I have a limited edition gold and white one.

Still one of my favourite drives after 7 years.

Also have the germanium, deluxe and deluxe LM308.

10. Hallic

Hallic

Sep 2, 2012
    Could you elaborate as to why you prefer the mk1? Any quality/words that come to mind?

Have you noticed any differences between the mk1 and the Deluxe?
    im still on the fence. Thinking about getting either a mk2, mk2 germanium or the "mk1 deluxe". The latter since it has more options and 2nd hand pricing is about ~170 euro, which is close the new price of the mk2.

11. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Again, zero difference in sound between the v1 and v2. Exactly the same circuit.

Only difference is the "preamp" mode switch.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021