Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solidstate ampeg preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Has Ampeg ever made any solid-state preamps?

I'd love to go pre/power with an ampeg preamp but I really don't want to deal with tubes. I don't think tube sound is THAT much better than SS anyways (please dont hurt me). Anyone besides me think Ampeg should sell... say... the preamp to the B-4R? I have this dream where I send them an email saying they should sell the B-4R preamp for like... $300 and then they're like "what a great idea!" and they do it and I buy it and I'm a happy lil bassist.

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

I have an Ampeg SVP-BSP (Billy Sheehan sig pre), which has one single tube at the input, but both channels are solid-state.
    But probably you'll feel its not quite for you - the clean channel is nice clean, though not hi-fi in which I mean its got a bit less highs and sounds smoother (i mean not harsh and not grinding lows, but with eq-ing it can be done) but the overdrive channel is really-really distorted. I use only a little amount of that with the two channels combined to get that Ampeg sound.
    Had the SVP-Pro for a short while, but didnt like that it was not clean even at low gain, and it had some noise. and too many tubes ... j/k I dont think you'll have too many problems with preamp tubes - they last a couple of years and its not hard to replace them

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, preamp tubes are nothing to worry about. Odds are you will never need to change them.

If you really want a SS preamp, then you will need to choose someone other Ampeg. Many people that like Ampeg also like the Sansamp RBI which is solid state.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Gah, Mutant beat me to it.

My only gripe on full tube pre's is cost. For example, look at the BBE BMax's... An SS can be had for around $300, where as the tube version will cost you almost double that.

5. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Well cost is part of what I was talking about. I like the ampeg sound, including solid-state ampeg, but I don't want to pay bunches extra for tubes when i dont really think they improve the sound very much. The only difference between tube and SS, to me, is that at SOME point you have to replace tubes. I mean, they sound different for sure, but I don't think one sounds better than the other really. So basically, I feel like I'm paying a good $200 extra for something that serves no purpose to me.

The Sansamp RBI is why I picked $300 in my dream situation hehe. I just feel like Ampeg is shutting out those of us who prefer solid-state! In the preamp department, anyways. And if the SVP-PRO is just the preamp of the SVT-4PRO, it seems so easy to just tear out the preamp of the B-4R and sell it to ME. Do it Ampeg, doooo it!

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    hmm... it seems like a doable scheme. I really dunno why they went all out of the way to produce a the Sheehan model, myself.

If they were to come out with a SS preamp, it might not be able to compete with the already popular RBI and BMax. Maybe Ampeg feels as though there's already a stronghold in that department.

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I don't think it is just Ampeg. The majority of preamps seem to be tube based. Sure, there are some solid state preamps, but for some reason there aren't as many to choose from as there are tube preamps.

My guess is that the majority of people that want a seperate preamp also want a tube preamp. I've got to admit though that the tube preamps that I have heard have sounded really good. I don't know if it is the tubes or what.

8. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey man, the tubes make a huge difference, you're missing out if you don't try them. My Aguilar DB359 is so warm sounding, and I hear how much different a solid state sound is like GK. No comparison. I have owned an Ampeg SVT3-pro and it sounded better than the SWR SM-500 I had, but the Aguilar is the best sounding amp I've ever owned. But the tubes really do make a difference in the tone of your amp. The preamp is important too.

9. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    oh yeah I agree they make a difference. I just don't think one is better than the other, you know? Example: I was trying out a B-2R and a SVT3-pro at a local shop. They were clearly different (definitely because of the tubes, because it was mostly in the tube gain knob) but I didn't think it was all that much better. Just different.

Seems to me it'd be wise to put out something that can compete with the Sansamp RBI. Even if it would be hard to beat, you'd think they'd want to have SOMETHING to offer in opposition to it, wouldn't you?
    Maybe they just make so much money on their tube stuff as it is they figure why change anything.

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well, it wouldnt be a change as much as it would be an addition or expansion. It wouldnt hurt to cover all grounds and broaden their horizons a bit.

11. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    just tell ampeg that! *really wants solidstate ampeg preamp*

12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Well, you can always just use the preamp section of your B2R and run it in to an external power amp. I know this means carrying around extra weight, but it does give you the sound that you are looking for.

13. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Oh... I actually don't have that anymore haha, I should change my info thing