solo albums

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by robotman, Aug 1, 2000.

1. robotman

Jun 24, 2000
    what are your favorite bass solo albums? i was looking for some, but i don't know of any so if you could help me out, it'd be great. preferably jazz/funk sort of music, but any replies would be appreciated. thanks.
  2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Wooten´s Show of hands!
  3. Vic and Jaco for example.

I also like many more, John Patitucci, Rocco, Bootsy... list is without an end :)

seek and you will find!
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you're looking for albums by technically advanced players, there's no shortage of them in the "smoove jazz" category. Jaw-dropping technique can be found on recordings by Marcus Miller, Kim Stone, Gerald Veasley, Vail Johnson, Brian Bromberg, Richard Bona, and of course Stanley Clarke. Also check out the two albums by Vital Tech Tones.

Some of my personal favorites:

Victor Bailey, "Bottoms Up" (out of print)
    Mark Egan, "Mosaic" (out of print)
    Jimmy Haslip, "Arc" (out of print)
    Stuart Hamm, "Kings of Sleep" (out of print)
    Michael Manring, "Drastic Measures" (out of print)
    John Patitucci, "John Patitucci" (out of print)
    Victor Wooten, "Show of Hands" (still available!)

It's a shame so many of these are out of print. On the bright side, almost all the players listed have new stuff out: Bailey ("Lowblow"), Haslip ("Red Heat"), Hamm ("Outbound"), Patitucci ("Imprint"), Wooten ("Outbound" w/Bela Fleck).

Tony Levin, while not a solo guy, has just issued an excellent new-agey solo release ("Waters of Eden").

5. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    "School Days".....Stanley Clark. I could play that Cd everyday and not get tired of it.
  6. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    hey i dont buy many bass solo albums, i have some, but not a large collection or anything, but, if youre looking for something good, check out mike watt's, contemplating the engine room, or his second solo album, ball hog or tug boat, both are quality albums in my opinion, other than that, the minutemen's double nickels on the dime is a very good album, though its not a solo bass album, theres alot of bass on it, bass and drums kind of thing, its really good stuff.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I really like Franc 'O Shea's "Esprit" - this has some great compositions, really funky bass lines /riffs and some great bass solos.
  8. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The reason I'm such a huge Jack Bruce fan has more to do with his solo recordings than Cream. On his solo albums (I recommend Songs for a Tailor, Harmony Row, and I hear that How's Tricks is very good), he maintains a more subdued version of what he did with Cream to keep the songs in context. He's also one hell of a piano player, IMHO. His solo stuff has him working the bass lines inside the music, and is really cool to listen to.