Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

solo artists

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Feb 11, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    so i just got ahold of this "band" called feersum ennjin. its an awsome cd. well its the brain child of ex-tool bass player paul d'amour. and really he is the band. sure he has a few guys guest on it doing some stuff.

anyway...just wondering, how is it that a single guy who has a "band" gets a deal and make records? i mean without performing or gigging and what not. i know its possible, but im wondering how. i would think, but i could be wrong that they would have to make a demo of all the stuff and a press kit and send it out to labels and hope it works. or just already be established.

i mean beck pulled it off too in the early days and then brought in the band. (JMJ is badass too, medicine rocked.) so if anyone has any insightful info on this it would be gladly appriciated. thanks.

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    bump for a cause. anyone have any ideas?

3. the whole point of the demo/press kit whatnot is to prove to the label that you're worth signing. if someone high up in the label has enough faith in your marketing potential, then i'd imagine it would be possible to forgo the recruitment stage alltogether (just look at ashlee simpson for an example)

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

alrighty. i see what your saying. so usually its send in demo, recruitment and then the singing and what not?

ashlee simpson sucks, she doesnt even sing. but i do get your point. i wish i was pretty :scowl: