Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solo bass humiliation!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've recorded a solo bass soundscape type thing, and put it up on our website here: Dead Hand System

It is under Burnt Infant, entitled Phobos & Deimos. I used a handfull of pedals and a bass for this with no overdubs or any studio tricks. So yes, it probably sucks. But I figured I would rather humiliate myself infront of fellow TBers before I play a show doing this.

Which is in two weeks!:eek:

2. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Must fight...Eyelids heavy...Falling...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    :oops:
    O.K.-If I played that at my shows, I would have stuff thrown at me(Beer,eggs,beer,tomatos,beer,and Ice...NOT panties! :( )' It would be a reaction not unlike the time Igor Stravinsky debuted "The Rite of Spring" in Russia. They almost tore the theatre down! The audience wasn't ready to comprehend a piece of music such as this(and in the early part of the 20th century,as well). So my advice would be to make sure that your audience will "get it". If you are playing to a stoner/yoga crowd in a club with lots of couches, then you are all set! But if you're playing to a party crowd in a dance club...wear a helmet!

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sounds pretty cool. The stereo asymmetry is making my ears feel funny though. :p

4. FYI: It helps if you're into Robert Fripp's Soundscapes, or Robert Fripp in general.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Wow. Cool! the stereo shifting made me feel like I had swimmers ear for a second, but it wasn't unpleasant. Very interesting, good music to sit back and drink tequila.

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Fripp/Eno "Evening Star" w/a little less melody and a little more...cough...cough...filler.:bawl:
    Sorry dude, I shoot from the hip ;)

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, I wasn't expecting it to be great... this is my first time trying anything like this. Hence the humiliation.

I was only using a few pedals, anyhow, so some of it in it's very nature of the equipment is limited (for the record, I only used 8).

I am hoping to get into more of Death Cube K territory, but I think I need more gear for that.:D

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Thanks, I enjoyed that.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. I have a tendency to really like abstract music, but I think live performance is a dangerous place for pieces of this kind. Now, if there was some kind of weird visual effect ( freaky lasers or interpretive dancing strippers) it could really add to a show. BTW, that was cool.

10. i think its really insane and i wish i new wat pedals u were useing.

would u care if my band plays this while we setup our gear, well tell every one wat it is and stuff

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Band Name: Freak-E Lazer and The Interpretive Dancing Strippers
    [​IMG]

12. Sounds good, man. I say run with it.

13. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I liked the two pieces. What effects/instruments were you using?

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    On the Burnt Infant song, it was just me and a bass and a few pedals: Whammy, EH Microsynth, fuzz, wah, flange, delay, trem, and two loopers, in that order.

Upon Waking: Mostly Lifeless is an edit that another member of the band did of the original song, Upon Waking. There's all sorts of crazy stuff in there, including samples of our ex-singer. We stole some of his vocals from his new project (unbeknownst to him:D ), and warped them beyond recognition. Heehee!

We will be putting real music up there sometime soon-ish.

15. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    That was freakin awesome! I love stuff like that. I think live it may be a bit long. If you could condense it and use it as an intro it might be pretty cool. I could listen to the whole thing live but it may not hold the attention of the non musician. Keep doin your thing man.

16. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I like it, but it could stand to be more warped. I like the lightsaber battle toward the end. You need to get yourself an EDP, man. Just pretend the D stands for Dwayne.

17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    We put the music up for free on the site. Check it out. Listen for my Meatball on Trinity. Make fun of my horrible singing.