Solo bass music??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Camel_spit, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Does anyone know where I can get some music/tabs for solo stuff to play on bass? It'd just be nice to be able to play something without the band. If you know any (I'm not very good, so not too advanced, please :) ) please tell me. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. dont play others music, make your own. all my songs ive made by myself, and then i got a band and show them it. some of it is just to crazy for them to make music to, not to mention they cant just root my B string, and arent very knowledgable musicwise, just self taugh... oh well, all in time the songs will work.
  3. Metallica- Anesthesia, the drums come in eventually, but who needs drums? :D
  4. I like to play songs that were made for the Double Bass. THere is a books F. Simandl, 30 Etudes for the String Bass By Carl Fischer. Not all the songs in there are great, some are boring. Its a rather difficult book.
  5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    It's worth getting some classical solo stuff in bass clef - a lot of Cello music can be played on bass (the Bach Cello Suites have been part of the solo bassist's repetoire for years, and range in difficulty from intermediate to damn hard!!!)

I'll second the suggestion to work on your own stuff - the best place to start for the is listening to other solo bassists - have a look at and follow some of the links, check out solo stuff by Victor Wooten, Michael Manring, Jonas Hellborg, Me, Scott Kungha Drengsen, Dave Pomeroy, etc. You'll find that a heck of a lot of people playing solo bass these days (including Michael Manring, me, Max Valentino, Scott Kungha Dregsen etc etc) are using looping to build up the sound - there are lots of pedals that allow you to loop (ie record one part as you play it, then have it loop while you play over the top) - check out the Line 6 DL4, Boss RC-20, Lexicon JamMan, and even the Zoom BFX-708 and the korg Pandora...

most of all, concentrate on music - no-one but anorak bassists are really interested in your 'chops', only the music you make - work on playing tunes not tricks, and you'll not go far wrong...

If you've got more specific questions about playing solo, call into my forum in the ask the pros section and I'll see what I can do to help you out...

have fun

Steve click here for details of California solo tour, Jan 2002!!!!
  6. Thanks, all of you, you really helped. i'm working on a masterpiece of my own :D which has heaps of slides and stuff. Mr Lawson, I am going to purchase your solo bass album when I get the $$$, and thankyou so much for taking the time to reply to my thread.
  7. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    you're more than welcome - glad to be of assistance. And if you've got more questions, you know where to come.

Look forward to hearing your meister-werk... :oops:)

Steve - click here for details of California Solo Tour, Jan 2002