Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solo bass piece for contest

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alex, Mar 19, 2006.

1. I have to play a solo bass piece for this IHSA solo contest. I don't know what to play.

It would preferably be something funky with room for improvisation, or with straight up improvised parts. It also has to be something jazzy, or at least have some musical merit. It also has to be published, and I have to have the sheet music for it.

Moonlight sonata - No, too short.
    The chicken - No, too repetative, not enough room for improv.

Any suggestions? :help:

2. :rolleyes:

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Hmm, what about funking up a standard and using a loopstation. Start with the bassline, then the theme, improv all you want, add some extra stuff, etc ;)

I think being creative will give you extra points over those who just learn to play a song by heart.

4. Play "Judging By The Size Of Carnie" and then sit back and watch the audience maul you into pieces!:
    http://www.myspace.com/jayterrien

LOL!! ;)

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
  6. :scowl:

7. +1, it really isn't as hard as it looks. Just up and down the scale with a few accidentals here and there. And who says you can't funk up Bach?

8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Jeez, that's your response to someone trying to be helpful? No wonder your cred has been elevated to minor annoyance...:bag: :ninja: :D ;)

Where's my medicine?

9. Well, that song is just so cliche (for solo bass) and annoying. Ya know?

10. Explain yourself naive! Are you calling Charlie Parker or Jaco Pastorius "cliche and annoying"?

11. Maybe not cliche as a whole, but, yes, annoying.

12. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    cliche as a half?

-The Non Minor Annoyance Alex

13. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    I would say pick a tune that has a nice head that maybe you can do a nice chordal melody on - All the Things You are lays nicely on the bass as does Autumn Leaves - both are jazz standards and you can play as inside or out on them as you wish. Also, the Bach idea is always great - his first Prelude in C from the Well Tempered Clavier is cool or G minor Sonata but that is tricky to get up to speed.

14. Not to hijack, but isn't the Chromatic Fantasy based off of WTC?

15. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Not Prelude No. 1 in C Major IIRC

As for other suggestions, since you claim to be "loaded", I'd say go with Vorago's idea and go buy a loopstation. I've been dreaming of the day when i can loop my bass lines, chords, melodies, and solos all over each other. For the kind of performance you're talking about, it sounds like it would be cool because it kinda brings a new light to solo bass.

Have fun,
    -Alex

16. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    I ave not heard that they are related - which one might it be from?

17. I read on TB the other day that Chromatic Fantasy was based off some kind of Bach piece, so now I'm trying to figure out which one.

18. solo bass pieces like that in general, I mean.

19. Dude, my mom isn't going to go out and just buy me a loopstation randomly. Having money doesn't mean that you have to spend it. :rolleyes:

I asked my teacher if I could do that anyway, and he said no.