1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solo bass piece for contest

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alex, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Hmm, maybe you can tell us what "level" you are, because there's solo pieces and solo pieces, you know ;)

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    How about Willie Weeks solo in Everything is Everything (Donny Hathaway Live)...

3. the way things appear to be going with your mom, you might want to practice up on a bass transcription of John Cage's 4'33". i think i have the sheet music for it at my house, but it is the piano version...i could probably transcribe it for you in a few hours...

4. +1 :D Ironically enough, we were talking about JC's 4:33 in Musicianship today...I think it would be right up his alley.:bassist:

5. yeah, i've been thinking about it lately...its become my favorite song at the moment...

6. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Hahaha, god bless music, as part of our GCSE course we performed it :D, and people wonder why GCSE music isn't taken seriously...

7. a few faculty members played it as part of a modern music concert at UW-Superior...needless to say, it rocked.

8. Nothing quite like crowd participation eh?;)

9. Never heard of it, but from what everyone has said it sounds cool. A transcription would be sweet. Sweeter if on Finale. I'll google around in case there is a bass arrangement out there, to save you all the work.

EDIT: Oh, I see how it is. Very funny guys...

10. :D

11. :D +1 :)

12. :scowl:

13. Try Metallica - (Anesthesia) Pulling teeth

14. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    If you listen to jazz, I would recommend finding your favorite tune and transcribing the head. Then you could play the head and improvise over the changes. If you don't listen to jazz, then... I'm very sorry for you.

15. It has to have musical merit. :rolleyes:

And besides, it's not of an acceptable genre for the contest. :meh:

16. My teacher is being real gay and not letting me do anything like this. I have to find a piece made for solo bass and solo bass only. :mad:

He said I couldn't even do moonlight sonata.

17. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Bummer! Well than, maybe I'll think of something else, eventually. :meh:

18. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Neither are cliche or annoying. Bird's one of my biggest influences. However, what IS cliche is half-ass bass players playing Donna Lee half-assedly. No instructors want to hear it anymore.

19. I personally don't find Donna Lee entertaining at all. It is just a bunch of rambling with congas in the backround. Ther is no structure, no rhythm (that I can detect), no listening quality. Anybody agree with me?

1600 posts

20. Restrictions = homosexuality?

No.