1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solo bass piece for contest

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alex, Mar 19, 2006.

1. No. And if you don't think it has rhythm, structure, or listening quality, listen to Charlie Parker's original version or try reading the sheet for it.

And yet still so much to learn. :rollno:

Solo Bass Pieces:
    Classical Thump
    Continuum
    Portrait Of Tracy

2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    How does that make him gay? My science teacher once told us we couldn't have food in class while doing a lab. I guess she's gay then?

And to answer your question, no I don't agree. Go find the real-deal, original Charlie Parker version of Donna Lee that's not played by a half-assed homophobic teenager and see what you think. No matter how many times it has been copied (and butchered), it's still a beautiful piece of music. At least I think so.
    :spit:
    -Alex

3. Usually, I wouldn't go here and I'm not an argumentative type of guy, and I would just let you wallow in your ignorance, but I have to step up for this one and say what we're all thinking: You don't know what you're talking about and you probably know nothing about music.
    Sorry buddy.
    It's one thing to just not like the song, but to say it has no rhythm or structure, and to call it "rambling", is just ignorant.
    Now, I suggest you try Jaco's song "Continuum" from the same album. It's fun, fairly easy, sounds beautiful, and I think it fits your criteria.

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    :meh:

This is a sign that you need to stop posting and go play your bass. Even without an amp, she misses you man!

And Charlie Parker is amazing, you need to listen to his version. And his Cd's. Right now.

5. I just went and played my bass, then listened to it. Still not amusing. I can't even sit through the whole song.

As for Charlie Parker's version, I have yet to hear it. Maybe it is better.

6. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Maybe? MAYBE???
    Of course it's better, he wrote the flipping thing! Not to mention that Charlie Parker was a genius who was way ahead of his time. I realise that it is cliché to say that, but in my opinion, even players in this day and age have yet to come close to his pure genius.
    Go buy yourself some Charlie Parker.
    Even if you don't play it for your solo thing, you will enjoy it.
    -Alex

7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    :rollno:

You don't listen to the Primus version of Master of Puppets and start saying how much the song sucks! Same thing applies here. Bassmanpatsfan is right, go get yourself come CP. Can't go wrong with the guy who trained Miles Davis (I think).

Oh, and if you still need a song, I would say just get some Jaco and listen until you find one you like. Try Stuttgart Aria, the CD he did with Bireli. I highly recommend it!

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    To really appreciate the beauty of the Donna Lee melody, you have to have the chord changes really apparent. Even on the recordings I've heard of Bird playing it, the chords are too far in the background. The melody really dances around the chords beautifully. When I first played it with Band-in-a-Box, I was staggered.

I guess you're not a jazz guy. Either become one, or give up.

;)

9. mwlaurenson

mwlaurenson Guest

Feb 5, 2001
    scotland
    Here is a photo of John Cage, presumably after playing his 'composition' for the first time.

cagej.

10. Amazing Grace by Wooten?

11. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    And has inspired just about every other jazz musician who has come about after his time...
    -Alex

12. Funk up Happy Birthday.

Or the Super Mario Brothers theme song.

Or the National Anthem.

;)

13. Let alone be one of the major factors in getting the Jazz movement rolling along...

14. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I agree wholeheartedly on that one. I would recommend listening to Bird's version, then Jaco's version, so you can hear how well the chords are implied through his improvisations. Hearing Bird's version of Donna Lee puts Jaco's on a whole other level, in my opinion.

15. play some groove with one arm tied behind your back with a 4 year old drummer

and please remember to make a video of it, and put it on google video and youtube :)

16. Seigi

Seigi

Jul 3, 2005
    Primus's Tommy The Cat provides a lot of room for improvisation, but it's not like that's a solo piece, you kind of need a drummer to give it the best feel. =/

17. Aw, dude, c'mon. Gay is just the go-to adjective for anything you don't like (at least here in Chicago). It doesn't make me homophobic :rollno:

And as far as my comments, I was referring to Jaco's version. Never heard the Charlie Parker version. It's is possible that we are arguing over 2 very different songs.

18. you still have a lot to learn about political correctness :D

anyways, is the contest over?
    how did eveyone like 4'33" ?

19. I heard he did a lot of mistakes...

20. Indeed, indeed. PC not my thing.

And the competition: it's not for a couple of weeks.