1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solo bass piece for contest

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alex, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Have you decided what you 're going to play?

2. nope :rolleyes:

3. what about jamming with a drummer?

4. He won't let me. So frustrating.

He gave me a CD that had a song with the bass taken out for me to solo over, so I will do that, I think.

5. you mean to tell me there is only one drummer in all of Hinsdale?...if one won't jam with you, get another!

6. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    No. Play the chords along with it, hopefully you'll see it's not rambling.

I say tell your prof you're playing some cheesy song he likes, start off with that and after 20 seconds, bust into whatever you want to play. That's what I'd do, though it might not be the best idea...

7. No, my teacher won't let me play with a drummer.

8. thats kinda dumb

9. That's why I said he was being gay!

(note: in this context the word gay is not meant to describe my instructor as homosexual, but as having unsavory qualities.)

10. You're gay.

11. :D

12. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Did you ask for acceptable examples of pieces written exclusively for solo bass? That's gonna be tough to find, unless you can master Jeff Berlin, Victor, Manring, or any of the other original solo bass greats, unless you look at solo double-bass pieces.

13. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    And using the term gay as an insult or to describe someone with "unsavory (word used incorrectly in this context) qualities" is demeaning and demoralizing to people who actually are homosexual, making you homophobic. Being gay is part of life for about 11% of our world's population, and it's snobby, ignorant teenagers like you who give the word "gay" a negative connotation, making people who actually are homosexual feel like dirt. Not to be offensive to you, but I can't stand to hear the word being used like how you used it.
    -Alex

14. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Interesting side note: It didn't even mean homosexual until the 70's. Before that it meant happy or cheerful. Then people started using it to refer to homosexuals. I'm not sure if it began as a derogatory term, but it has passed into an acceptable synonym for homosexual in any case.

Back on topic: What song is he removing the bass from?

15. If he wants you to do a classical bass piece, you couldn't do much better than a tapped version of Erik Satie's Vexations

16. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Is it true in Superior most of your streets are named after people?

I've been to Duluth (3 hours south of International Falls), but never Superior and was always curious.

17. there are a lot of streets named after people, on the other hand, we have a lot of numbered avenues...

heck, if you are in duluth, cross the bridge over to superior :)