1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solo Bass Shows?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Beast, Aug 10, 2007.

1. So I've decided to take a chance, and do a melodic solo piece I've written for this year's Battle of the Bands. I'll be playing with my band as well, but on a separate day. Now the thing is, I'm getting laughed at by my drummer, who laughs at the idea of solo bass, and discouraged by my guitarist, who says I will get no applause, blah blah blah.

Now, I think the piece is pretty, it's nothing fantastic, but I think some people will at least find it interesting, seeing as I haven't heard any stories of it being done before down here.

Any of you have similar experiences with thinking of doing solo bass shows?

2. no but think of this radiohead's creep was a fantastic song and quite popular and exept for the distorted guitar and fills in the perfect places it was basically all bass and vocals.

you do have vocals right? solo stuff can be extremely boring without IMO.

and get your bandmates to help in the song maby, thats what a local solo guitarist does around here, he gets someone to sit in on drums or something.

3. Burg

Burg

Nov 29, 2001
    U.K.
    You should ask this question over in Steve lawson and Michael Manring's forum, lots of bass players playing solo shows over there.

4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I did a solo show for my high school's talent show my senior year. People really seemed to dig it, I got tons of compliments afterwards. I say, if you have a good composition, go for it.

5. Messiah25

Messiah25

Mar 10, 2007
    Israel
    I say do it :)

6. This indeed.

Almost ten years ago I performed 'Anesthesia' (with a little help from the drummer of my band at the time) at our high school's talent assembly. When we reached the section where the drums come in we had everyone standing up and clapping/stamping in time. It was way rad.
    You totally ought to do it if you have the chops!:bassist:

Good luck!!!

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    That sounds pretty sweet. I was just doing a nice little melodic kind of drone thing in D. What was really cool was that it sounded like it had twice as many notes as I played. They had mic'ed my rig and were running it through the house mains. I could hear my amp, and then about a second later, the mains.

But when the girls run up to you yelling about how fast your fingers are, you forget the sound problems

8. That's also when you know that, no matter how unsuccessful your music career may be, you've got it made!;)