Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

solo bass songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    i need to find between sev and ten minutes of songs/song that i can play for an exam at the end of the year. I can have one accompaniment which would probably be either drums or piano. Any ideas on where i can find some songs i could use? I would need the score/tab as well as the actual song i could listen too. I'v scoured the internet and can't seem to find anything. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2. fsanfili

fsanfili

Feb 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Jaco's 'Portrait of Tracey' is always a good 'un. It's tabbed in a number of books.

There are also books of Charlie Parker solos transcribed for bass clef if you're ambitious.

Duke's "Don't Get Around Much Anymore' works nicely for solo bass, though I don't know of any tabbed versions.

3. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    thanks, anyone know of anywhere i can download/stream portrait of tracy without having to use warez or kazaa or something?

4. Anesthesia (pulling teeth)

on cliff burtons 2nd ever show he played this song. it is off there kill 'em all album and i highly recommend it.

5. BioDragoon

BioDragoon

Jun 24, 2005
    Reseda, CA
    Mmmmm.....that song was goooood........

6. Quahogs, Anyone? will drop some jaws by Stu hamm. Classical Thump too.

7. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    go for something different... Barber of Seville by Rossini, Moonlight Sonata, Fur Elise, Cry of the Valkyries, don't do the old tired stuff that has been done a million times. infact, don't do a song by another bass player. If you want to be as good as Vic or Marcus, you need to look at other instruments and steal a song from them. I think even Jaco did this, he used many saxophone pieces such as Donna Lee to my understanding, and that is what defined his sound, the fact he didn't play the bass like a bass! Maybe even a Miles Davis song? Sorry, i'm not familiar with his stuff.

But please, choose something different :)

8. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    p.s. pick drums as the accompanyment, if you choose piano then it is hard to overcome the piano's tonal range and characteristics and make the bass the main instrument (though i'm sure that you've figured out a way already)
    :)

9. 'Donna Lee' and 'Don't Get Around Much Anymore' appeal to me. 'Summertime' also works well on bass. How about arranging part of Copeland's 'Appalachian Spring'? That could work well as an interplay between a bass and keys. I find the melody for 'Simple Gifts' that he included there very appealing. I arranged 'Ashkolan Farewell' for dobro a few years ago, and it is such a simple and appealing melody that I think it would work very well for bass without accompaniment. How about one of the oboe parts from 'Peter and the Wolf'? Boy, this is so much fun, I'm going to print out this list and start working on it myself. I like the idea of using a percussionist for accompaniment. As long as it is a real percussionist and not a rock drummer who suffers from lead kick drum syndrome

10. the pieman

the pieman

May 22, 2005
    Durham, UK
    Try this: (While My Guitar Gently Weeps, on solo bass)

http://www.dreamingoutloud.net/audio/while_my_guitar_gently_weeps.mp3

There used to be a transcription up on bassically.net, but now that site's moved, and it's not on the new site unfortunately. I seem to remember that it's played on a 5-er, tuned AEACA, but it's easily arranged for 4-string if you need to, though you will need at least 21 frets.

If you really want the music, I think I have most of it printed out, so might be able to scan it in and upload it if necessary. (I haven't got it save on my comp. any more)

11. I find it so amusing that you can't bring a band!?!
    Hands down, the whole point of being a bassist is playing in a band. You can do für elise all you want, but seeing you in a band situaition is way more "correct" if you ask me.

At my exam, I did Herbies CHameleon, Jacos Teen Town, Level42s Mr. Pink and Autumn Leaves. All of it with a full band.

12. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Dave Brubeck Take 5

13. Brandenburg Concertos