Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

solo bass songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Dec 26, 2001.

1. i have noticed that everyone round here is always talking about solo bassists and the likes, such as geddy lee ect. i live in the middle of nowhere and the closest i've heard is bass lines in dance music on top of the pops. i am not very wealthy at all and very rarley buy c.d's so i was wondering if n e of u no n e sites where i can here the songs for free so that i can get a taste of it and then buy someones c.d knowing i wont be dissapointed

thanx for n e help

tom

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Try www.gnutella.com and www.aimster.com

Though, with the advent of PressPlay and MusicNet, I'm not sure whether these two rogue organizations will be around for much longer.

www.amazon.com offers 30 sec - 1 min Realaudio samples of songs from nearly every CD they sell (which is nearly every CD released). I have spent many a wasted afternoon clicking through their files.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, that is the ultimate time waster, I usually do that and then head out to the store and pick up what I like. (I hate waiting:D).

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Likewise www.cdnow.com.

FYI Geddy Lee doesn't play "solo bass" much. He has occasional solos in Rush music, but he's mostly known for playing great bass lines in their songs.

[rant] why is it that everyone I see these days uses "ect"? It's not just typos either, I've seen it a lot and consistently. How does someone turn "et cetera" into "ect"? [/rant]

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

Gedy Lee does have a solo album, so maybe that qualifies him as a solo bassist?

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Nah - it's just a rock album. Not a bass "showcase" or anything. The songwriter / arranger happens to be the bass player. But then I'm not the one who used the phrase so I guess I shouldn't assume what he means by it. :)

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    OK. I realized as I was typing that I wasn't really sure exactly what qualified a person as "solo" bassist.

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I think that the mags have really lost the meaning of the term solo bassist. They have taken it to mean the bassist as the leader of the band.

Solo bassist should refer to a person who plays solo. To mean anything else serves to diminish the work put in by those players. Jaco did it, Vic Wooten does it, Steve Lawson's "Nothing But The Bass" is a great CD of solo bass, Michael Manring, Colin Hodgkinson, our own Max Valentino, and more.

I have total respect for all bassists and the role they have chosen to play. But solo bass is near and dear to my heart and I feel those that venture into that area should be recognized for that.

Mike Dimin, solo bassist

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Ok, thanks Mike!!! I'm very glad you guys are out there doing it.

10. et cetera

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Dont confuse a "Solo artist" with a "solo performance"

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    OK then. I'll start abreviating it eee then! :)

Only entry I could find for ECT in the dictionary stands for "electro-convulsive therapy".

I'll just insert that one from now on. :D :D

13. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    You must read a lot of Kafka...

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I didn't realize whining about grammar and spelling was existential. Cool! I'll have to do it more now. (see what you've done?)

15. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yeah, Mike cleared that up, thanks.

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    et cetera

17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    :D

18. Geshel,
    don't worry, you aren't the only one who nitpicks on spelling and grammer. It irritates me most of the time, but I've never bothered to post a complaint about it. :p

19. tmt

tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Hey you can downloaded songs for free at their homepage, such as Marcus Miller and Jaco pastorius.

:D

20. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    best place to start for solo bassists is http://www.solobassnetwork.org.uk - it's not been updated for a while, so don't bother with any of the news related stuff, but the links page is invaluable for finding genuine solo bassists, on both electric and upright. A lot of the people listed there have tracks on their websites (ie me, who has about two hours of real audio on my site... :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk