Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solo Bass Stuff

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bass_guy33, Dec 28, 2004.

1. bass_guy33

bass_guy33

Jan 24, 2004
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Hey, there are some nice ideas there, some groovy licks and some interesting phrases. I think that it doesn't really stand all that well as solo bass stuff on the whole, as most of it sounds like fancy basslines sans band. But there are some nice ideas.

The biggest problem, is that the recording quality is absolutely abysmal, your tone is boomy and muddled, there is lots of hissing, and it's either too loud or too quiet. But, that's a technical problem.

There is a heavy wooten influence, particularly on the 'slapping compos' cut, but hey, whatever. I used to mimic wooten's style quite a bit, but I've moved on, I'm sure you will too.

Your take on Norwegian wood isn't 'bad' but there are a lot of missed notes, and garbled much of the phrasings. That said, your bass is clearest on that cut, so whatever you did recording that one, you should do for the others. But still, it's pretty muddled. But other than that, you do a pretty good job on it. That's one vic song I never bothered to learn though it is one of my favorites.

all in all good stuff, keep it up.

3. bass_guy33

bass_guy33

Jan 24, 2004
    Yeh, I think a few of them were just audio taken from a webcam video, so yeh it's pretty bad. Norwegian wood was done directly to my computer from my bass.

To be honest those were entered into a 'Slap Competition', which is why there's lack of melody, phrasing and other small things, so I agree with you when you say they're not good solo pieces.

Although Wooten is my favorite bass player, I don't intentionally try to mimic him (if anyone I mimic Mark King, also unintentionally), but I'll take the compliment of you seeing his influences in my playing/writing, but I don't quite understand why I would move away from him as an influence; maybe move away as a dominant influence so my writing isn't so flashy and more melodic.