Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solo bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by scottos150, Jan 9, 2004.

1. What are some good solo bass pieces, like ones with just finger style? I can play portrait of tracey with some decencey, but I need something else. Thanks.

2. maxwell murders by rancid has a wicked bass solo i dont know if it is your kind of music but its tabbed on this site so you can look at it there if u want to its really wicked listen to it.

3. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Check out Jeff Berlins version of Dixie or Billy Sheehan's version of the Beatles Michelle

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I really like Jaco's take on 'blackbird' it works nicely as a solo bass piece.

5. appler

appler Guest

It's not the hardest to play, but "Amerika" by Jaco is a really cool piece. I also like "Amazing Grace" by Victor Wooten. Those are both cool unaccompanied solos.

6. well, amazing grace as victor does it is hardly fingerstyle only. however, with some tweaking you can easily make it all fingerstyle. for instance; im performing it with a drummer at a talent show next saturday, and instead of victors insane slap solo in the middle (which to be honest i am no where near being able to play, slap + me = eww) we are throwing in a drum solo with me doing some chordal tapping in the background (you could do some fingerstyle chording the same way.) so there are some solos that you might like but dont want to worry bout the alternate techniques, just work with them and make them what you want. besides, music isnt about playing others stuff, its about playing your own (which includes putting your own spin on others' songs) :)