1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Solo bass

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Dave Roberts, Mar 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dave Roberts

Dave Roberts

Mar 1, 2018
    I'm a jazz pianist who recently picked up the upright bass. Having played solo for many years, what interests me the most as I learn the bass is playing it solo, not as an accompaniment/background instrument. Like many of you, I'm a big fan of Adam Ben Ezra's YouTube videos, and I'm looking forward to checking out Dave Holland playing a solo bass concert in San Francisco in a few weeks.

Are there other bassists doing this that I can enjoy and learn from? If so, links to YouTube clips are much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Dave Roberts

Dave Roberts

Mar 1, 2018
    I just typed "solo upright bass" into YouTube's search window and am pleasantly surprised to see a bunch of videos. Here's the first one I checked out, a nice version of Besame Mucho. This guy's got some chops.

3. Dan Waineo

Dan Waineo

Jun 14, 2015
    I'm taking lessons with David Friesen. He has done a lot of Solo Bass work over the years:

Dave Roberts and Tom Lane like this.

4. Ken Filiano's solo album Subvenire is worth checking out if you can find it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Dave Roberts likes this.
  5. Michael Karn

Michael Karn

Apr 16, 2014
    Dave Holland has done a lot of solo playing throughout his career

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    jmmcc, Earl and Dave Roberts like this.
  6. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    A long time ago I was at Namm in Nashville and Pattitucci played a solo upright piece after several top name players did electric chopfests and played so beautifully and soulful and just had the entire room hanging on every note. This was 20-25 years ago and I still remember it. There must have some recordings or videos of him solo.

7. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Barre Phillips made the first solo bass LP:

Peter Kowald:

Barry Guy:

Joelle Leandre:

William Parker:

8. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I have to admit I never listen to solo bass myself. Most of the times it doesn't appeal to me very much. There are some exceptions of course. It's fun to do though.

9. Jmilitsc

Jmilitsc Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Fairfield County, CT
    Charnett Moffett - seen him a number of times over the years. He’s got a variety of great solo stuff out there, example:

geoffbassist and Les Fret like this.
  10. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Brian Bromberg:

Larry Grenadier -- short but very deep:

Glenn Moore -- yes, I know, accompanying Nancy King but still:

geoffbassist likes this.

11. I know I posted a video link to Mark Dresser before, but I think the OP will really appreciate this solo piece of his.

Dave Roberts likes this.
  12. Dave Roberts

Dave Roberts

Mar 1, 2018
    Sam Sherry likes this.
  13. Dave Roberts

Dave Roberts

Mar 1, 2018
  14. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA

15. And here’s another video of someone sounding awesome with a corner-less bass. A friend recently introduced me to a bassist now based in San Diego who, amongst many other things, writes solo bass/voice songs.

16. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    More Brian. This is the shiznit.

Sam Sherry likes this.
  17. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Moar

jmmcc, Joshua and Sam Sherry like this.