Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solo Dave Holland Vid.

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Baumer, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Baumer

Baumer

Feb 16, 2004
    Malvern, PA
    Dont know how many of you have seen this around before. Its available for download at bt.easytree.org. Look in the Jazz section.

First Post :)

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Welcome!

You may be the first one to mention bit-torrent stuff around here.

I haven't checked ou the vid, but I have been digging on a Holland solo concert from '92 or so that was broadcast on Dutch FM radio. Great stuff.

There's some other great jazz concerts and sundry oddities in there, too. The stuff takes forever to get down into your machine, given that there are so few folks interested in the jazz torrents.

3. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    I cant seem to get in there it reroutes to some hanburg site which asks for a password. Is that address correct? Any alternate addresses or more infor on what the video is?
    Thanks,
    Piro

4. Baumer

Baumer

Feb 16, 2004
    Malvern, PA
  5. Baumer

Baumer

Feb 16, 2004
    Malvern, PA
  6. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    It still goes to some dodgy Hamburg site like that, but I found that if I dropped the 'www' it reroutes to here: http://www.easytree.org/index.php

That is a page for EZTorrent, but I haven't been able to find the video mentioned yet (or even a Jazz section actually). It'll probably become clear once I get past the log-on thing. Then there's just the matter of figuring out how BitTorrent works and how to use it....*sigh*.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  8. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    The bittorrent people are being assailed legally right now by the American motion picture industry. The Big Boys started harrassing them a month or so ago and I gather things have gotten worse.

Bittorrent methods were devised as a way of moving very large files between machines without using a lot of bandwidth. That makes the technology good for trading all kinds of large files, including movies. As a result, the movie people want to snuff it in its infancy, for better or worse. They are doing a good job of scaring folks operating tracking servers -- that probably accounts for the wierd Hamburg stuff mentioned above.

The easytree site referred to earlier went out of its way to prevent illegal recordings from appearing on its collecting site. It was oriented very much to the live recording crowd, a hobbyist crowd. The offerings were almost all live concert recordings done by amateurs or radio stations, or they were audio tracks from TV shows. I never saw any material that looked unkosher, and I hung there pretty regular for about a month or so last fall.

It's too bad about the legal bullying. There were some wonderful concerts available there.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    do you know Dave Holland's policy on concert taping and videoing? That is what I am getting at. Most 'jam' bands are up front about it.... I've never seen it mentioned @ Dave's website or on his CDs.

10. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    No, James, I don't. The piece I have is a Dutch radio broadcast, so I know he consented to that much and in all likelihood was treated well. As to the legalities of recording a radio program broadcast over public airwaves and then re-distributing the program non-commercially, I confess I don't know the precise legal ground we're on. It doesn't seem like much of a wrong to me, though. I listen to a lot of radio -- including Dutch radio, BTW, at night on the CBC here in Canada -- and I've never heard any warnings against recording...

I learned of the Easytree site from a friend who's a production professional in the entertainment biz (movies, video, computers.) My first questions to him were along the lines of legality, etc. He gave me a lot of technical info, but also mentioned that the Easytree folks deleted obviously illegal share-offers whenever they were found.

There are some old Mingus European concerts, Weather Report from the 70's, and a lot of current stuff like Metheny, Mehldau, Shorter, etc.

Does Dave Holland have a "legit" recording of his solo playing?

11. Well if I understand your question correctly, he does have one album that I know of, It's called Ones All. Incredible album, I highly recommend it.