1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Solo distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Goretopsy, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Goretopsy

Goretopsy

Feb 19, 2002
    il
    I'm looking for a new distortion to use mainly in soloing (I play in death/grind/off time metal band) right now I'm using a electro harmonix Big Muff but the sound is too fuzzy and muddy and if I turn up the tone too much it sounds like static and not enough notes. The options I've been looking at are

Visual Sound: Route 66 compressor/distortion
    (I like the clean boost/compressor option and the distortion is really good on it, my bass teacher swears by the pedal for dist)

Visual Sound: Jekyll and Hyde

Ibanez: phat hed

Tech 21: Comptortion

Hughes and Kettner: tube factor (a bit $$ I dont know if its worth it compared to the others)

Like I said I'm mainly using the distortion for soloing but I want somthing I could use for everything from low to high on the bass spectrum. The sound Im looking for is less muddy than the big muff and will stand out more in a down tuned mix

2. The Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde sounds very good with the bass, I took it to a gig with me and it held its own with the guitar, no problem.