1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Solo Dominants

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Selim, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I’m interested to hear about people’s experiences with solo Dominants tuned to orchestra pitch as a arco/pizz set.

How do they measure up to other “hybrid” sets?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. doghousebob

doghousebob Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Hi - I used them for several years after a left hand injury. I had used standard Dom orchestra before that. I had great luck with them. LOUD, focused, plenty of growl, easy on the hands. They were fussy under the bow on my bass, even after they settled in. To my ear they were very metallic until they settled in; they held pitch well. However, they were fairly unforgiving with the bow unless you have great and consistent technique. My teacher found the arco sound far too harsh out front (possibly also a gentle comment on my arco technique), so we moved away from them. I do miss their pizz clarity under my ear in the theatre pits I often work in.
    Cheers.

Selim likes this.
  3. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Interesting. What did you move to to tame the arco harshness? Is your bass inherently on the bright side?

I recall Arnold Schnitzer once commenting something along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing) them being a great "sleeper" hybrid set that most players don't know about, they kind of exist under the radar.

4. The Solo gauge are supposedly the easiest under the bow of the Spiro offerings.

I know a guy selling a set for $100 if you must know.

Selim and doghousebob like this.
  5. doghousebob

doghousebob Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Ontario
    I would not call my bass bright. The Solo strings were very easy to start with the bow and on my bass made a "big" sound; you could really feel it working. However, I should possibly have said they could sound quite "brittle" from the audience side. Perhaps my bow hand is not the best, and if not careful, arco could sound a bit harsh. I had some post work done on my bass, and my teacher and the luthier are having me try Belcantos. These are a whole new ball game for me.
    If KungfuSherrif can put you on to a set for a hundo - I'd be on that like a fat kid on a box of Smarties!
    I'd be interested to know your experience with them.
    I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Selim likes this.
  6. Bels bored the #%€* out of me. So neutral and devoid of character they made plain yogurt seem like paella.

DrayMiles, doghousebob, lurk and 2 others like this.
  7. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Tell me how you really feel...

doghousebob, KUNGfuSHERIFF and Selim like this.
  8. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2015
    New Hampshire
    I just put a set on my 1960s German Hybrid a week ago switching from Velvet Animas. I have hand issues and have been experimenting with low tension strings. So far I'm loving them. I can't comment how they are under the bow as my arco chops are nil. I play 99% pizz and I'm getting a dark focused sound with growl. Much easier to hear pitch than any other string I've tried and they're holding their tuning much better than Animas. Still getting used to the very thin string diameter but the more I play the less of a distraction it is. I'm curious as to what others here on TB say about them.

doghousebob and Selim like this.
  9. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've used them for years, and I think they are the best of the solo options tuned down. I've never felt they were harsh or brittle in tone - they respond well to a light touch, so a technique adjustment might be in order. I agree with the Sheriff on BCs; solo Perms and Kaplans are great for soloing (surprise!) but strike me as one dimensional tuned down.

The other option (everybody take a breath) is solo Sensicores; they are IMO fat and gut sounding. The only caveat (except for people who hate Sensicores in which case forget it) is that you have to use the regular G. The solo A/G is just too thin and whiny.

Selim likes this.
  10. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Is it true that their tension is about the same as Spiro weichs, but thinner? I think somebody here on TB wrote that once.

Is there a string that is sort of like the solo Doms to compare them against? Sweichs?

11. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Spiro weichs "feel" thinner to me, but I don't know for sure. I guess the comparisons would be with other Perlon/synthetic core strings: Zyez, Evahs, Innovation etc (none of which I actually like, but...)

12. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    thanks for the good info, everybody.
    oh well, there's really only one way to find out ...

13. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I can't be held responsible!!!!!

Selim likes this.
  14. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    but you're the one who told me about them!
    no, I take full responsibility for my excessive string tinkering.

15. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm right behind you!

16. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    I've used them in the past and liked them quite a bit. Never used the E though (extension on my bass). I thought they were good hybrid strings, a little better for pizz than arco, which was fine for me. Good clarity and sustain pizz. I thought they were brighter sounding than some of the synthetic core strings like Evah Pirazzis or Innovations. The closest comparisons sound-wise might be regular Dominants or Spiro solos, and they would be a little warmer and less zingy than either of those. They are closer in sound and tension to the Spiro 4/4 solos than weichs. Actually even lower tension than the Spiros, though the higher stiffness of the Dominants may make it not feel that way.

Earl and Selim like this.
  17. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
  18. Matthias Hacker

Matthias Hacker

Apr 8, 2018
    I did play Dominant Solos tuned to orchestra pitch for some months. They are really easy under the left hand. I did not like the G and D strings that much, a bit too flabby, too thin diameter and too bright, especially the G string. But the A and E strings are really nice, organic sound, warm but accurate, easy to bow, a nice attack on top of the note and growl if you want. The action should not be too low, but I guess they make a really fine match with guts or similar low tension strings on G and D. Since I don´t like mixing different strings I took them all off, now moved on to Presto Balance Orchestra light. Until now quite happy.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Selim likes this.
  19. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  20. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    I used tuned down Dominants with a Spiro Weich E for a long time. It's a good setup, I played mostly amplified pizz with bands, and I could always tune up the top three strings to play my classical rep. It's not great for real orchestra playing, obviously, but I did plenty of those kind of gigs with that setup, so it's still okay.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021