Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solo Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by maxcitizen, Nov 14, 2005.

1. I thought it would be a good idea to start a sort of database of solo bass music. I have seen a few threads here and there asking about the topic but none which went into much detail.

Personally, I have my end of year high school exams toward the end of next year and need to start working on a program of music including some solo pieces.

If anyone knows of some solo bass music I think it would be helpful for a lot of people if we built up a list here, with information on artist, album, any available transcriptions, difficultly level, alternate tunings used etc.

My most recent discovery is Kai Eckhardt’a Queen of Cups, featured on the Weather Report tribute album ‘Mysterious Voyages’ as well as Australian bassist Steve Hunter's solo album 'Night People'.

Any help with other solo bass music of any kind would be much appreciated

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
  3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm really into the whole "solo" thing. It's a whole side to my playing, I do the whole "band" thing, and the solot thing too, which really suits me.

So..erm...yeah. As for players...well, there are loads. Stuart Hamm is my favourite band/solo bassist, I'd reccomend checking out his albums :cool:

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Might be, not that I'm an avid follower of Steve or anything :D

Any chance at seeing you at Bass Day Uk Bruce?

6. Bruce Lindfield

No - I've lost interest in electric stuff and only practice my DB nowadays - I doubt there'll be any acoustic Jazz involved....;)

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    John Lester plays DB ;) and sings and loops and so on

8. Bruce Lindfield

But is it Jazz and is it worth going all the way to Manchester for....:meh:

Especially when the London Jazz festival is on, with loads of great gigs and big names from the US etc. :)

9. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    DaXun Zhang should definitely be on the list of solo DB'ers. Give him a google to hear some of the most virtuosic DB soloing in classical music today. Scary-good, and he's only 24!

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I still think Stanley Clarke should be in that list, although he is a band player...he is simply fantastic!