Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Solo Gigs: How Do You Handle The "Roadie" Work?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was curious about how you guys handle the breakdown period after you play a solo gig.

Being a bassist obviously requires a lot more work than a solo acoustic guitarist who can just throw his guitar in a case and carry it around with him. With bass, you have a lot of very expensive equipment that probably requires a few trips to the car. Do you have to leave some of your stuff unattended at times? After a show is also when everyone wants to talk to you, buy you a beer, etc....do you try to pack up while talking, or load up your gear first and then come back? Around here, leaving your gear in your car is probably less safe than keeping it in the club even if you can't keep an eye on it because you're talking to people. How do you usually handle it?

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    That is a tricky aspect of solo work, isn’t it Bryan? Having to look after gear definitely puts a crimp on social activities after the show. I think it’s wise to work with the club employees to keep things safe. They have stuff they need to look after too, so they’re usually sympathetic and I find they’re often happy to help if you’re polite about it.

3. Yeah I usually find someone will be more than happy to help. If the car is somewhere close to the venue I'm not too fussed leaving it locked in the car myself. Course nobody breaks into a nissan micra on principle ;)

4. I know that Steve usually employs a small army of trained chimps to pack up his gear and watch over it while he schmoozes. If you see some small, hairy looking animals crowded round his bass rig after gigs then approach them with caution. They have been known to screech and throw faeces... ;) :D

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ah, this must be his so-called "street team".... :D